Poodle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
I'm guessing these people were BYBs. The guy tried to gain sympathy by saying he was tricked into signing over all the dogs. He said his wife was a groomer and if you look, one of the dogs looked like it had some dye in it. But typically, no one has 9 poodles unless they are doing some form of breeding. And no one responsible has 2 "accidental litters" in the time frame they did. The article also mentioned that several Labs were also taken and if you look at the video, the sign on the back of the car advertises Labradoodles. I'm guessing some of the puppies are doodles.....

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
We have a major and I mean MAJOR doodle and byb problem in Utah. Especially northern Utah, as the economy is booming, people are moving in so fast and I seriously always say that doodles are the state dog because every single person has one. I haven’t even read the article yet but I’m not surprised in the least. Horrible to live in a place where we have this terrible problem.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Yeah some of the young ones definitely look like labradoodles. No way that was accidental breeding! They're asking $800 adoption fee, and I don't really care for shelters doing stuff like that. Better for them to surrender them to a breed specific rescue if they're worried about people reselling them. When you get a dog from a shelter, even if it's a purebred dog, you're opening your heart to an animal with unknown health and behavioral issues. So I don't like the idea of them selling at "market price." That's a lot higher than most rescues charge, and they're putting in way more vetting and behavioral work.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wonder if the $800 covers the cost of neutering. I certainly hope that they are neutering them before adopting them out to new owners. But it sounds as if they are overwhelmed with too many dogs to care for.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I wonder if the $800 covers the cost of neutering. I certainly hope that they are neutering them before adopting them out to new owners. But it sounds as if they are overwhelmed with too many dogs to care for.
I think they legally can't adopt them out without desexing. Though desexing puppies makes me cringe and I hate that shelters do it routinely.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I hope all those poodles will end up in new homes.

I personally think that they are charging way too much for those poodles. According to there profiles on the site, half of them have behavior problems. It sounds like they are overwhelmed with too many animals right now.
I hope one of the poodle groups will help rescue these poodles.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think they legally can't adopt them out without desexing. Though desexing puppies makes me cringe and I hate that shelters do it routinely.
I think that laws and policies might vary from place to place. I know someone who adopted a young puppy from a rescue. They had to sign something saying that they would have the pup neutered by 6 months. But the rescue did not follow up to find out if the puppy had been neutered. The puppy is over 6 months now and has not been neutered -- new owners are planning to wait until the puppy is 18 months or more.

I know someone else who got a young puppy from a rescue, and the puppy was desexed at 8 weeks before going to his new home. So it seems like policies are not all consistent.

I'm just hoping that these pups get good pet homes and don't end up in puppy mills.

Maybe some PF members might be interested?

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
If there are major behavior problems (which would be expected), it would be much better for these dogs to be placed by a rescue or at least kept in foster homes through the shelter. It's more successful when foster parents really know the dogs, help review applications, and help choose the right homes for the dogs.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I think if the dog pound was interested in sending the dogs to a poodle rescue they would have right off. I am in Boston terrier rescue, and we get dog pounds calling us when a Boston or Boston mix comes in. We pay a fee.

I don't think any rescue is going to pay $800 to rescue a dog from a rescue.

·
Premium Member
9,702 Posts
I know how very few cute dogs end up in public shelters. An employee of one, in Houston, was quoted saying there would be a bloodbath over a malti-poo, which I took to mean a waiting-in-line, stampede situation for a fluffy. He used that as a reason to divert to a rescue group. I consider that foot traffic, which might give another not so attractive dog a chance. $800 seems very high, even including medical. At least the confiscated dogs will quickly find better homes.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
All of the poodles and poodles mixes are now gone from the website (unless more will be listed later). Hopefully they all went to good homes and their humans can meet their needs. I was totally in love with Violet!

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Our local poodle rescue has a 5 month old standard they just took in. Has a white patch on chest. I'm so tempted but no way...Renn isn't well enough behaved yet and I have to get in better shape But I know he would love to play with one of his own. LOL

1 - 17 of 17 Posts