Poodle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cayenne did not eat her breakfast (which is not unusual). She is under my desk and I hear her gagging, next thing I know she would take a few steps and throw up water. She would not lay down and wanted held and whimpered while I held her. the other 2 dogs one on each side kept smelling her face and ears,
she was trembling Gave it 1/2 hour called the vet he said bring her in, so I was there in about 20 minutes, no makeup or hair combed. They X Rayed her, (nothing) 96.00, office call, 49.00, Sub Q Fluids 48.00, Waste fee (disposing of needles and thomontor 3.00, Cerenia 27.00, Meloxicam Shot 25.00, Metronidazole 250 mg (1/4 pill for 6 days 14.37. I think the was excessive. Told them she was peeing and pooping normal, eating normal for her. I changed vets but he is old and not open on Sunday, so still keep this one in cases like this. The older vet I Changed to charges 40.00 office call and that includes the rabie shots. Well really I am just glad she is ok, or will be.

I made a mistake a long time ago, if one of my girls is sick, they get carried around and on my lap 24/7 and believe me, Cayenne wants up the minute I put her down, missed a cocktail party tonight, darn

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
Poor baby. I hope she’s feeling better soon.

Reactions: glorybeecosta

·
Premium Member
9,616 Posts
I thought dogs didn’t catch colds. Whatever it is, she’s got meds to spare and share with her siblings if they have future issues. Hope she feels better soon.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Hope Cayenne is feeling better! I too was taught that dogs don't catch colds! Maybe he just meant she had had symptoms like a cold............Canine Flu? That seems to be around a lot 'back east' I hear! Well I hope she is back to normal by tomorrow!

Reactions: glorybeecosta

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I thought dogs didn’t catch colds. Whatever it is, she’s got meds to spare and share with her siblings if they have future issues. Hope she feels better soon.
I'm assuming kennel cough.
That does seems excessive for tests. I've only had kennel cough once in my dogs but I knew that was what it was when I brought him to the vet I just wanted to make sure that he hadn't had a secondary infection, but pretty much the vet heard him coughing and asked when and how long he'd been doing it and he thought that that ruled out having anything caught in his throat. I think I got some cough syrup and that was it.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She is not coughing, sh would walk and throw up like every few steps she took. Maybe I assumed a cold, as he said she had a temperature. I thought it was excessive, that is why I hanged DR, but the new one not open on Sunday, it would have been less than half of that.

She does not have the runs, or anything, I do not let the other dogs eat after her, but they lay all on one bed.

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
That’s too bad, I hope Cayenne heals fast.

Vets do tend to want to do so many tests every time you bring a dog in. I always ask for alternatives and only do the essential stuff when I go. Sometimes I feel like I’m being cheap but I’m really not. They are so expensive!

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Aww poor girl. Hope she is quickly on the mend. Yes expensive vet, aren't they all now. Everything is more about the $. Not much we can do. I usuallywait 24 hours to see before going in, sometimes its right sometimes not. We just have to use our best judgement. Vets like doctors guess at whats wrong and hopefully they get it right on the 1st try.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Maybe I assumed a cold, as he said she had a temperature.
Do you have a thermometer? I think thermometers are one of the most vital pieces of dog gear.

Just don't get them mixed up with the human one ;0)

ETA: Perhaps he said she probably had a "virus". I would be concerned about the fever with the symptoms and that's, I'm assuming, why the workup was thorough. I'm guessing the advice for these symptoms with no fever, would have been watch and wait.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Vets do tend to want to do so many tests every time you bring a dog in. I always ask for alternatives and only do the essential stuff when I go.
I think the vet is in a difficult position because the animal cannot describe their symptoms, so the vet must show an abundance of caution.

My current vet (I don't have a dog at the moment but I'm keeping him because I will soon again) also likes to order thorough and comprehensive blood work, but we have a conversation beforehand with the tests and prices in front of us and decide how best to bring my resources to bear in the situation. Sometimes there is a preliminary test we can do that makes clear whether or not the others are necessary.

It's so important to be able to communicate well with your vet since you'll be doing it under duress when it really counts.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you have a thermometer? I think thermometers are one of the most vital pieces of dog gear.

Just don't get them mixed up with the human one ;0)

ETA: Perhaps he said she probably had a "virus". I would be concerned about the fever with the symptoms and that's, I'm assuming, why the workup was thorough. I'm guessing the advice for these symptoms with no fever, would have been watch and wait.
She took the x ray immediately then did the rest including her temperature after the x ray, think I was had, oh well that is life I guess

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
She took the x ray immediately then did the rest including her temperature after the x ray, think I was had, oh well that is life I guess
I forgot it was not my regular vet I used for years in fact I normally do not let her see my girls in the last couple of years, but she was the only one there so no choice

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I hope your girl starts feeling better soon!! Poor thing.

think I was had
Really, honestly not. They didn't even perform bloodwork (which is very much in the realm of an acceptable test with her symptoms). You have a tiny dog, and tiny dogs can go from bad to worse very quickly. Radiographs are always justified with any vomiting. Fluids to prevent dehydration as she is so small that the vomiting she was doing could easily dehydrate her. The Metacam to address her fever. The other meds to help with her GI symptoms. The exam charge is very reasonably priced.
The radiographs and exam at my clinic alone would have brought you close to your end price without all the other items which are very fairly priced in my experience. Can't give away services, products and staff time for free..

·
Registered
24 Posts
The radiographs and exam at my clinic alone would have brought you close to your end price without all the other items which are very fairly priced in my experience. Can't give away services, products and staff time for free..

I also thought the price was very fair and certainly less than I would have paid at my excellent vet..

·
Registered
91 Posts
I took my 8 month old spoo in for diarrhea and vomiting, plus a gooey eye. I had been out of town for a few days and I had him at doggy day care full days, then home in the evenings with his senior brother and sister and a dog/house sitter. Too much time at day care around other dogs? Stress? I don’t know but he had whipworm, colitis, and conjunctivitis!! The tests, injection to calm his tummy, medications (5 items), and exam were just over $200. There were no xrays involved, just a fecal test. I thought that was reasonable. Nonetheless vet bills always shock me because they’re so much more than routine human medical care after insurance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts