Poodle Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,591 Posts
I would use I70. That is our Indianapolis route.

·
Premium Member
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Chicago tollways all converge south of the city in a terrifying knot of entrances and exits. That's the way east to Indiana and Ohio. It's overwhelming in every possible way. Oh, and shootings are a thing now on the Dan Ryan and the Eisenhower, so you can't feel safer driving in the middle of the night to avoid traffic.

I have a trial in Toledo, Ohio at the end of March. I'm seriously wondering what I was thinking when I entered. I wish I could beam my car Star Trek style from Illinois to the Indiana toll road and miss the journey east through 294/80/94. Maybe I'll just take Rt. 30 and Rt. 6 and avoid the entire nightmare. Sigh.

·
Premium Member
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
With coronavirus now a pandemic, a gathering of 500+ people from all over America sounds like a petri-dish o'catastrophe. As much as I would love to go to rally nationals, I'm not entering.

·
Premium Member
22,591 Posts
Yes, the virus is going to make me stay home too, wondering also about my April 10th tix for Billy Joel at Madison Square Garden and we even had a moment of wondering about the Indy 500/

·
Premium Member
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
It's not just the events themselves, but the multiple public restroom stops along the way that concern me. Rest stops are crowded places and there's really no way to avoid them when traveling along the interstate. When I trial, I can crate out of my car and minimize the time I spend around people in a hotel. But, it's the getting there that worries me. So, it's an honor to be invited, but I'm gonna say nope this year.

·
Premium Member
22,591 Posts
I'm right there with you Click.

·
Registered
378 Posts
The Whippet national was cancelled ,so I would not be surprised to see most ,if not all, "sporting events" cancelled-NBA,NHL, MLB season postponed, etc. Getting a bit out of hand, in my mind.

·
Premium Member
22,591 Posts
Better safe than sorry Martha.

·
Premium Member
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
The last thing we need during an outbreak are people from all over the country gathering in one place. A gigantic pause button on society is the only defense we have. Isolation gives the virus less people to infect, and hopefully it will burn itself out faster. They are digging mass graves in Iran. I cannot imagine mass graves in my town, or your town. I cannot imagine my local hospital having to have tents in the parking lot like they have in Italy. If shutting schools, and events, will slow the spread and protect our healthcare system, shut it all down.

·
Premium Member
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Our National Poodle Specialty is canceled. AKC Event Cancellations – American Kennel Club Here's the list of cancellations. I'm sad about not trialing because I adore trialing. The only upside is we can take this opportunity to spend more time training our dogs.

Dear Noelle,
When I say to back up three steps, it does not mean to move backward and out of heel position by swinging to the left.
Love,
Mom

Dear Mom,
If you were not a clumsy ox that steps on poodle feet, I would stay in heel position.
Love,
Noelle

Dear Noelle,
That only happened once.
Love,
Mom

Dear Mom,
Once was too many times.
Love,
Noelle

My plan for quarantine and chill: teach Noelle to back up three steps in heel position. Next time we trial, we'll nail that sign.

·
Premium Member
22,591 Posts
The list of cancelled events on the AKC website is huge. I was planning to take two rally master runs with Lily and two novice obedience entries with Javelin on April 4th at an AM/PM pair of trials with great judges on April 4th. The location is a place I go to train with Javelin about once a month (in NJ) and where I have shown many times with Lily. It is a poodle specialty and the club is very small. The venue is a training center that is owned by one person with two employees, so the smallest of small businesses. I had been planning to go there this Sunday with Javvy to do some training, but had to tell the owner I would not be coming since my area is experiencing a lot of new cases right now and I am being very limited in where I go.

We did have a private lesson with Deb yesterday. She gave me lots of homework for fixing fronts and finishes to get them to be no points off parts of the routines for all levels of obedience. I am trying to look at the cancellation as a chance to make his work as close to perfection as possible. However I am very bummed about what this will mean for Lily reaching the RACh. The way things look she will turn 12 (in September) before we trial again. Aside from whether she still wants to work her routines are likely to be pretty stale even with practice on our own.

·
Premium Member
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
It really breaks my heart for you and Lily. All the trials I was looking forward to have been cancelled. It's painful to have to stop trialing. All of my training places are closed indefinitely. One is a private company and I'm fearful they will go out of business. That would break my heart.

·
Premium Member
22,591 Posts
Aww Click you are so kind. We will both get back to trialing and having lovely dances with our brilliant dogs somehow some day, hoping sooner than later.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts