Lily and I are qualified for the Championship (2 master, 1 excellent and 1 advanced run). I am not sure about whether I will go or not. BF qualified for a national championship fencing tournament the weekend before and I think he has decided not to go which makes it a bit easier for me to consider Rally nationals, but it is a long trip and I would have to make it a quick trip since summer school will be finishing one course and then starting another around that weekend.
It would be fun to Q at Nationals. Excellent is two runs in two different rings. Noelle has consistently scored in the upper 90's in Excellent, but I worry the venue would be overwhelming for her. I'm still deciding.
I know Lily is likely to have a meltdown somewhere among those four runs. I am not obsessive about placing highly or even Qing all four runs, just would enjoy the trip with her if I can work out the logistics for the travel. Summer classes put a wrench in the works.
Tikkadog Lily and I went in 2014 and again in 2017 (Harrisburg, PA and Georgia). Both times we were in the champion class which was then 2 runs each in advanced and excellent. We had a great time, but Lily had one meltdown each of the years we went. It is very very intense, so you need to just focus on making it fun as best you can, unless you have a bombproof dog.
Well, it's official. I got my email invitation yesterday. Still deciding if I should go. It'll be a stressful venue for Noelle. And she cannot back up three steps. And I'm trying to talk myself out of it. But, there's a tiny little part of me going, whoo hoo, Noelle. Nationals! We did it! Whoo hoo. And that joyful part is getting louder.
Our email invite just arrived a little while ago. I am proud we qualified (for the 5th time I think), am happy to have an 11 year old dog who is still a willing partner, but think I am leaning heavily towards not going. The logistics of driving by myself to Ohio just barely a month after our trip to the Indy 500 coupled to having to make the whole trip there, showing and getting back to Long Island in 96 hours (Thursday to Sunday) or less just sounds really daunting. Additionally I would need a substitute to give a final exam for my first summer class and then have my head collected enough to start a new class on the following Monday. I'm getting too old for all of this! I wish I had a crystal ball and knew where 2021 was going to be. If it was going to be Harrisburg, PA (the first location) I would do the work to Q for that.
I hear you on the drive. I'm still weighing it myself. I'm not the world's most confident driver and that's a long ride. The worst part is going east from my house means dealing with 294/80/94. Trucks, trucks, people texting, crazy drivers, and trucks. Way too many merges and not enough room. If I go, I may go south in Illinois and cut east in central Illinois. Skip the whole mess.