Poodle Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I agree with Wonderpup - I like to have my dogs on "the five year plan". I show my dogs, so like to get one every five years. That way, I may have a puppy, a five year old, a ten year old and possibly a 15 year old. My puppy will have individual time for training and growing up and my geriatric will have some individual time too. It's awful to say, but you don't want all your dogs being geriatric together and losing a whole houseful of dogs at the same time. I know a couple people that have had that happen and it's heartbreaking (and it can be very expensive if a lot of vet care is involved).

That being said, I have to admit I do have a pair of littermates. Frank came to us as a puppy and then Betty came (just to stay the winter - yeah right!) at two years old. It is not ideal and I know I am probably in for some heartbreak down the road when they are older. They do enjoy each other very much, but don't have sibling syndrome. I told their breeder (when she asked when I wanted another puppy), that essentially, Betty had taken the spot that the next puppy would have taken and now I would be waiting until they were 7-8 years old before getting another puppy.

Hope that makes sense.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.