Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
17 years ago, when I was only 8, I was reading the book "The Magic Faraway Tree" by Enid Blyton. I loved the little fairy called Silky, and the nice old Moon-Face with the magic tree! I was waiting for mum to come and pick up me and my brother after school, we'd moved to a house that was 'ages away' from school, but there was only a week or two left before the end of the year and we would be on holidays, so it didn't matter much; we'd be going to a new school closer to our new house next year. We'd also be getting some kittens after the silly season, one each for me and my brother, and I was so excited.

Mum pulled up in the car, she was late, but I had my book so was happy to wait. She is calling to us as we get to the car, urgently saying something through the closed windows. I had to open the door to hear what she was trying to say, but she told me to hurry up, "just get in and shut the door". I was worried; what was wrong!??

Me and my brother bundled into the car in double quick time, me in the front, my brother in the back, mum urging us to get the doors closed straight away. What's wrong!??

A mew.

A pair of eyes.

A ginger striped tail beside my brother on the back seat.

A kitten! Mum, you got us a kitten!! "There's another one under your seat."
Me, being 8 years old and flexible, am bent in the most contorted way to try and see underneath the front seat of the car where I get hissed at by a pair of bright yellow eyes and some sparkly white teeth, set in an inky black face. I try to reach it, all I can feel is fur as soft as silk but I can't get a grip on it. I have to sit still on the long drive back to our new house, knowing full well that I have a black kitten under my seat the whole way. I claim the black one, the ginger one is scared but timidly sitting by my brother, my little black one is fiercely defending it's spot under my seat. I can spy the spunk in it, and I want a part of it.

Mum tells the story of how the two of them turned up at the local dump when she was dropping off some rubbish before coming to collect us. There are no houses around for them to come from; they'd been dumped. They had come up to mum, just one at first. She put it back claiming we were only wanting to get two kittens together; one each for the kids. The second one came out, so she bundled them into the car. My brother called the ginger boy Rascel, and I named my black minx Silky, after my favourite character in my favourite book, and her wonderful silky coat. She was a family cat, but always had a special place for me. An amazing hunter on the farm, and a wonderful house cat when we moved to town. Always ready for a cuddle through my teen years when I needed it. Her high pitched 'siamese' meow when she wanted food that I can still hear in my mind. Her obvious joy when, after a long absence, and she heard my voice. I left her with the family when I moved out of home, but she was still 'my' cat.

17 years ago, when I was only 8 years old, Silky came into my life.

This afternoon, at 2pm, she left.

about 2005-ish

august 2008

Rest in peace my girl. You meant so much to me. You are pain free and at rest now.

puppy_dog_eyes.gif

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
Thank you for giving this girl a truly FOREVER home!! I love hearing stories of pets who were truly members of the family and lived out their entire lives with people who loved and cherished them!

Our gray tabby, Sugar Plum will be 16 years old next spring. We adopted her from the pound when she was about 8 weeks old - Katy was 4... Sugar has always been Katy's cat. She's been slowing down a lot in the last year and has lost weight (the vet says she's OK, just getting old...) We don't want to think about the end - but at least we know that Sugar has had a blessed life with our family, she's been loved to distraction and has grown up with a little girl who learned a lot about responsibility and compassion simply by Sugar's presence with us. God bless you and Silky, FD!! I can see her in sunny meadows, hunting abundant prey... with her bright yellow eyes and sparkly white teeth!

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Oh! Such a heartfelt story and beautifully told. I teared up when I realized that you had lost her. I am so sorry for your loss. She is at total peace now. Hold on to all of your beautiful memories of her and they will carry you through.

·
Registered
263 Posts
FD, so very sorry for your loss. What a wonderful life
your Silky had. Thanks for sharing your memories with us.
You are quite the talented story teller. I always read your posts
hearing what I believe your accent would sound like. You obviously have
a huge heart for your animals. They are as lucky to have you as you are to
have them. RIP Silky!

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I'm very sorry for you loss. It may not mean much now, but you were lucky to have her for so long. I enjoyed reading you post about how she came into your life. Hugs!

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
one of the reasons we intended to get kittens after christmas was that we were traveling a few hours out of town to stay with friends, and didn't want to have kittens to worry about. Obviously the kittens had other ideas and came along earlier than intended.

So they came too.

This is the only kitten photo we have, it's Silky asleep on mums back and Rascel infront of her, at our friends, with me doing some drawing on the floor infront of her

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I also recently had to say goodbye to a childhood-cat. He wasn't much older then your Silky, it's so hard to say goodbye after such a long time together.

Sending you lots of hugs!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts