Poodle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I know there has been many similar posts about this over the years and I did make an effort to read through many of them. I did find it helpful and I have tried different approaches.

To give you some context, our little 13 week old guy is able to sleep completely alone on a different floor of the house for 7 hours overnight consistently. He is essentially asleep when I leave him at night and he waits patiently in the morning for my partner. Not a single peep during those 7 hours. This has been going on now for 3-4 weeks.

During the day however, he needs at least one of us to be within him at ALL times otherwise the vocals come out (and it doesn't sound pretty, very loud and very sharp). Even if only one of us leaves the room, he will follow and then whimper/bark for a few seconds if that person leaves (doesn't want his pack to get smaller I guess? we are only 3 to begin with!). Overall this has gotten slightly better over the past month since it happens probably 10 times a day (sometimes he won't follow and sometimes he will follow and not make any noise). Now, if both of us are gone, even for 1 second, 3 seconds, 10 seconds, 30 seconds, 10 minutes, 30 minutes he will bark and howl almost continuously.

So for the past 3-4 weeks we decided to have one of us at all times other than sleeping at night. We figured he is a "baby" and just wants to be with us? We have tried many times to "break away" and always are sure he has water, food, new chews and new toys with him... no success. It is to the point where we would bring him into the bathroom with us as to not have him park and wake up the other human (my partner and I have a staggered schedule to make sure we can accommodate our dog wanting a human to be with him at all waking hours).

Well, now we started going back to our exercising routine which is 40 minutes long each day that my partner and I do together. We put our little guy in the exercise pen or crate with water, bully stick, kong filled with kibble and just walk away and go to another floor of the house for that 40 minutes. When we come back to his domain, we only let him out if he has been quiet for at least 30 seconds... he can actually hear us walking towards him from quite far away and stops barking with the anticipation that we will be in the same room with him soon....

Sorry that was a long story... but we are not sure what to do... he is like never good being alone even if only one of us walks away... not good being alone for 1 second... so we figured to throw him into the deep end and hopefully he quickly learns. But, we don't want to traumatize him either... especially with covid-19 and having limited socialization with others (and especially other dogs), we don't want him to turn out messed up (sorry can't think of another way to describe it).

Help!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences and recommendations. I tried some music, a "new" toy and keeping things calm. Walked in and out like it was no big deal. There has been a dramatic improvement already. I liked the "be good poodle"... because that's all I want! And our puppy seems to like Lady Gaga.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.