Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our sweet girl has been to the vet and checked out perfectly healthy. The vet couldn’t give a definitive answer if her shedding was normal. So I am here to ask you guys! Is shedding at 12 weeks normal? Both the Bichon and The Poodle are suppose to be low to no shedding and I’ve heard the puppy coat shouldn’t start transitioning until more like 6 months. Any insight would be so appreciated!

·
Registered
12,701 Posts
What a poppet! Is that the amount of hair that came out in a single brush stroke, or after brushing her all over? All dogs lose some hair; poodle hair is like human hair in that it continues to grow, but like us they do lose a little, which then tends to stay tangled in the coat. Regular brushing clears them out, and ensures they don't turn into dangerous mats. If that amount of hair is from a thorough grooming it looks pretty normal to me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This was the amount that came out after brushing her all over. Thank you for your insight. I really appreciate it. 🙏

·
Super Moderator
6,292 Posts
What a cute girl. :)

The hair in the brush looks reasonable to me for a non-shedding breed (think of the hair that accumulates in your own brush). The hair on your clothing does not. But that doesn't necessarily mean she has a health issue... Is it possible there's another breed mixed in there?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good question. I certainly paid top dollar for a full Bichon-Poodle mix, but now I’m questioning if this is what we actually got. I consulted a groomer and she agreed the hair on the shirt is NOT normal at this age as well. Thank you so much for your insight 🙏

·
Super Moderator
6,292 Posts
Sadly, some of the most unscrupulous breeders charge the highest prices.

Regardless of her origins, your little girl is a gorgeous puppy and I'm sure you are already very much in love. But if you want to know for sure, genetic tests are easy and reasonably priced. I've used both Embark and Wisdom Panel on my dogs, and while both were good, Embark was much more detailed.

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
My guess is thats just puppy fluff. Poodles and bischon both lose hair though I would not call it shedding like that of another breed. Our boer you could just run your hand over and see hair come up, with he poodle you need to actually brush and then you will get hair. Just like when you brush your hair, you will see it in your brush or comb. I wouldn't think that is unusual at all.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Your puppy is so adorable!!! I'm not an expert but i can tell you my poodle has never shed on clothing or furniture. She's 13 months old so maybe she will later. When i brush and comb her hair some hair comes out as it does when i brush my own hair.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think that's a normal amount to come out after a brush all over. My Lili is now a little over a year and now is loosing a lot more. We do keep her hair quite long though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts