Poodle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My spoo has been napping and sleeping in his crate since we got him. Over the last few months he has taken to barking at everything when he rides in the cab of the truck. We reintroduced the crate in the canopied bed of the truck. It took a long time to entice him to go in on his own but eventually he did, and the next time was easier. But now he is rejecting both crates to the point of escaping and running down the road chasing a car. So I’m super frustrated, I want to give up. I’ve worked so hard to have him not lunge and cars and he was even sitting when they went by but now he has had the great reward of chasing on, and won the battle of not gointg in the crate. i Want to trade him in and trade my husband in who is always involved in our training setbacks. Help!

·
Premium Member
Miss Pia Maria , Mr. Leonard Pink , Ida Lou and Ussman
8,407 Posts
The noise of the truck bed might be very distressing for your dog, but your dog is also in the midst of adolescence, yup a defiant teenager testing boundries.
Others will have much better advice, mine is short stints in the truck cab, knowing full wel that you will stop the truck the moment he starts barking. Basically deny him the fun, just like mom would do, "If you don't stop we are going home!"

·
Registered
455 Posts
My spoo has been napping and sleeping in his crate since we got him. Over the last few months he has taken to barking at everything when he rides in the cab of the truck. We reintroduced the crate in the canopied bed of the truck. It took a long time to entice him to go in on his own but eventually he did, and the next time was easier. But now he is rejecting both crates to the point of escaping and running down the road chasing a car. So I’m super frustrated, I want to give up. I’ve worked so hard to have him not lunge and cars and he was even sitting when they went by but now he has had the great reward of chasing on, and won the battle of not gointg in the crate. i Want to trade him in and trade my husband in who is always involved in our training setbacks. Help!
I feel for you. Training the husband has been way harder than training the puppy 😆🤣😂😖🙃. Mine has gotten much better so there is hope 😊☀
My 11 mo old mini has increased his barkiness recently too. Hoping it’s age / phase! Places and things he wouldn’t bark at before he now gets very excited about (ie coffee shop sessions when dogs come by etc. ). I do a lot of treat when he’s quiet, look at me, and any other tricks to redirect his attention. He seems to be protecting me but not sure. He lunges sometimes too, when I thought we were over that…

Tough one in the truck. Beau used to Bark out the window of our car but now I put him in a sleepy pod harness in the back seat and he can’t see, so no longer barks.

·
Administrator
13,788 Posts
I think Peggy would lose her mind in a truck bed. The noise. The vibration. The rattling of the crate. Eek! It would be way too much for her (and tbh for every other dog I’ve known, too).

Do you have another option for travel? It’s a shame to poison a crate routine he previously liked so much by using it somewhere it upsets him

At that age, you may also find he’s too big to comfortably relax in his crate for more than short periods. Peggy’s not a big spoo, but she needs a 48” crate to lounge in all her preferred positions. That’s been key to keeping her loving her crate.

Lastly: I would try not to think of any of this as a battle. We have a strict rule in our house, that Peggy has always had to go in her crate with no physical coercion from us. Yes, it required us to get creative at one point during her rebellious adolescence. But it was worth it to keep her relationship to the crate positive.

·
Super Moderator
4,887 Posts
I agree that the noise in the truck bed is probably very distressing. Additionally, the truck bed doesn't have the same climate control as the truck cab, making it extra uncomfortable for a dog.

Our truck has an extended cab. We flip the back seat up and let the dogs sleep on the floor when we are traveling. Luggage rides in the truck bed under the tonneau cover. When the dogs are being idiots I order them to lie down. They generally do lie down, because I have practiced the down command many times in many unexpected places. They understand when I tell them down that I really do mean down. Once they break eye contact with whatever has excited them they are less likely to continue barking.

Finally, someone I know lost a truck cap while going over the Golden Gate Bridge. The bolts holding it onto the truck had loosened with nobody noticing, and the cross winds ripped the cap off when he got to the middle of the strait. Fortunately the family dogs, who normally rode in the truck bed, had stayed home that day. Otherwise they probably would have been killed. I have never felt comfortable letting a dog travel under a truck cap since that accident.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I just let win the "I am not sleeping in the crate" battle last night. He was waking up every hour. He is only 5 months old, but he has never liked his crate. When he goes in the car, he has started barking randomly at things. It is like he can't figure out what it is so he must bark at it until I tell him it won't hurt him. He has a harness and a seatbelt to keep him in one place.

·
Premium Member
10,567 Posts
My poodle would want to ride in the cab, have AC or heating and sing along with the radio. Buck was trained to a crate when we got him, but his pitiful crying when he was a newbie broke DH’s resolve, and he soon had free range to the kitchen and tiled floors. We trained him back to the crate as a place that he sometimes had to go. Poodles are smart, not his first choice of places. Why would it be?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree that the noise in the truck bed is probably very distressing. Additionally, the truck bed doesn't have the same climate control as the truck cab, making it extra uncomfortable for a dog.

Our truck has an extended cab. We flip the back seat up and let the dogs sleep on the floor when we are traveling. Luggage rides in the truck bed under the tonneau cover. When the dogs are being idiots I order them to lie down. They generally do lie down, because I have practiced the down command many times in many unexpected places. They understand when I tell them down that I really do mean down. Once they break eye contact with whatever has excited them they are less likely to continue barking.

Finally, someone I know lost a truck cap while going over the Golden Gate Bridge. The bolts holding it onto the truck had loosened with nobody noticing, and the cross winds ripped the cap off when he got to the middle of the strait. Fortunately the family dogs, who normally rode in the truck bed, had stayed home that day. Otherwise they probably would have been killed. I have never felt comfortable letting a dog travel under a truck cap since that accident.
Do you have them in any kind of seatbelt when they are on the floor?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.