Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Please let me know what you think. I have talked to a breeder in TN that has a miniature silver boy available for me. I'm a little reluctant because the father of this litter is a 10-year-old poodle. Should a 10-year-old still breed?

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
10 yr old sire is fine. The issue with Minis is testing:

Optigen and CERF
Patellas
Legg-Calve Perthes

I thought you were looking for a Toy? Is this the Aery Kennel? Great dogs!

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was deciding whether I wanted a Mini or a Toy. Right now I am 70% mini, 30% toy. I haven't had a chance to look at a toy silver or talked to a toy silver breeder yet so …

Hmm…. he only mentioned "OFA Good and Optigen A Clear (genetically clear of PRA)". As for patellas, he said his vet checked those of the parents' and will check the puppies …

No mentioning of LCP.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Patellas are usually checked by vet so he could show you a vet's report if the exam is not listed on OFA.

Legg-Calve Perthes is a problem in Minis. There is a very well known kennel (that shall go unnamed) that has really struggled with this disorder. I think Mini breeders should test for it.

All that said, Richard is a great guy and he breeds really lovely dogs. If you have an opportunity to get one of his silver Minis, I say go for it. Given that the sire is 10, you should have lots of data about what he has produced.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks, cbrand. I am anxiously waiting for his reply~~

but yes, like you said, he's a great guy and has always provided me very detailed answers to my questions.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: Puppy will be shipped within these 2 weeks.

Need to start shopping, puppy proof the condo, etc

My heart is pounding already!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Wooooot!!! Congratulations! 1st things 1st... we need pictures as soon as he's home safe and sound!!! Good luck with your new little guy!

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Really? I hv been thinking how silver he will turn out to be. His dam is aery's my immortal. both parents are blue.

Is there a picture that can show me how silver you think he might get? I'm just anxious!

He will be 8 wks tomorrow - will be shipped when he is 10 wks.

Let the countdown begin :) Ugh… hope I could just fly to the breeder and give the puppy a big hug right now.

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
I was wondering that, too, jak... in the picture it almost looks like a steel gray... could just be the flash... are there pigments other than black, brown and liver???

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
What a cute little guy :)

I think the older the male the better.
You know more about the dog as he gets older and his parents are 12 or older so if there is any disease in the family it would have shown by age 10

Dont know about the nose but sometimes when I take a pic of Vaka her nose looks brown but in real life her nose is jet black

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
No it's black and that flash is making him look lighter than he probably is. He's cute though.
K, cool.. He just looked a little brown coloured... from the flash..

I was just looking at this pic of these two silver standard poodles... Father and Son.. it was a cellphone quality pic.. and someone thought that they were Red Sable.. You could see a bit of red on them.. but that was just from the cellphone.. the silvers can be interesting in certain shades of light etc.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I know.... hard to tell about the pigment, but I thought so too. Given how light this puppy is, I have a concern. It may be totally unfounded.

There is a condition in Silver Minis that people call Blue Bell. The clinical name is color dilution alopecia The puppies are born Blue and they have sort of dusky blue pigment. The ones I have seen are usually born flat coated or with a wispy, very thin coat.

Here are some links:
colour dilution alopecia

Storm's Regimen

Dog Health: Color Mutant Alopecia

Could this puppy be a Blue Bell? I just can't believe that Richard would sell a puppy like this without disclosing it. Maybe his Minis just clear really, really fast! I guess the answer would be to ask what color this guy was when he was born. Does Richard have any newborn photos?

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I too thought the photo was just completely overflashed. Perhaps you could ask him about the problem Cbrand mentioned? And also ask for a photo in a setting that doesn't require such a strong flash?

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Ok... replying to my own post. When I think about it, the Blue Bell's I've seen have been Blue all over: face, feet, body etc. This puppy is clearly Silver on face and feet.

Disregard my previous post. Use it for education purposes only. I'm sure it does not apply to your puppy!

What are you going to name him?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts