Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Puppy is ten months old now and oh my goodness I adore this girl. She's sweet and smart and loving and funny and even kinda calm. Only..she seems less interested in doing what I say and pretty much does her own thing unless I have cheese in my hand. With cheese, she'll do anything. She knows, she just chooses to ignore most of the time. She's really attached to me, and she's turning into a wonderful dog, I just wish there was a bit more interest in doing what I ask.

Is this normal for 10 months? Or do I need to try a new approach to training? There's not much point in teaching her things if she's just going to pick and choose whether or not she obeys.:angry:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Puppy is ten months old now and oh my goodness I adore this girl. She's sweet and smart and loving and funny and even kinda calm. Only..she seems less interested in doing what I say and pretty much does her own thing unless I have cheese in my hand. With cheese, she'll do anything. She knows, she just chooses to ignore most of the time. She's really attached to me, and she's turning into a wonderful dog, I just wish there was a bit more interest in doing what I ask.

Is this normal for 10 months? Or do I need to try a new approach to training? There's not much point in teaching her things if she's just going to pick and choose whether or not she obeys.:angry:

Hi there and welcome. I have two standards ( 2yrs and 7 months). I found with my 2 yr old that treat training worked best for me and showed me she understood. The second yr she changed into a different dog ( more mature). Then I would use toys, like her ball. I have found that she still loves to be rewarded with treats but she will listen when asked and enjoys just getting praised .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
22,990 Posts
Welcome to adolescence. Adolescent dogs are a lot like adolescent humans, all about what's in it for me and not so much about pleasing parents.

I would play lots of games that will increase your girl's focus with you and you will then be able to make things about the two of you as a team more than you as a cheese dispenser. If you look in my training thread on my performance work with Javelin you will see a number of things I have done to work on his attention to me. https://www.poodleforum.com/24-performance-agility-obedience-hunting/205393-javelins-road-ring-ready.html

·
Registered
258 Posts
Do you reward with cheese after every each thing you ask of her, or reward intermittently? If not, I’d reward every other time and then every second, third and so on. Keep her guessing on when she will get rewarded.

If you are already doing that, try having cheese and another treat with you. Reward with the cheese (intermittently) once and then the next intermittent treat choose a less valued treat. The goal would not be just intermittently reward based on timing, but also be intermittent with the type of treat.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Renn is Almut 11 months. I give him no choice but to listen. HE is on a leash so easily corrected. I too used treats to lure him into say a heel or a look at me but once he understood, I kept them in my pocket and occasionally reward. We are doing pretty good now. Though tomorrow is another day and things could change, LOL. I am petty happy with our progress.

·
Premium Member
9,623 Posts
At that age, my mantra was a quote from Anne of Green Gables, “Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it.” And when exactly is that day coming?, I wondered. I recommend Susan Garrett’s books for this phase, and the support of our experienced trainers on PF, like Lily CD. Impulse control, focused attention, it’s yer choice and a glass of wine after an imperfect day.

·
Premium Member
22,990 Posts
Do you reward with cheese after every each thing you ask of her, or reward intermittently? If not, I’d reward every other time and then every second, third and so on. Keep her guessing on when she will get rewarded.

If you are already doing that, try having cheese and another treat with you. Reward with the cheese (intermittently) once and then the next intermittent treat choose a less valued treat. The goal would not be just intermittently reward based on timing, but also be intermittent with the type of treat.
In addition to spacing the treats out to every other then every third time and so forth you need the schedule to be really random. Every other time then every fourth time then three times in a row and so forth. Eventually only reward really excellent responses to orders such as super fast recalls, instant sits, a drop where the dog throws itself on the floor.

Reactions: PlayfulPup

·
Registered
12,365 Posts
I would also take care to have rewards within reach, but not in your hand. If cheese only happens when cheese is already in your hand, then it is easy for her to know when ignoring you won't lose her anything. If cheese (or chicken, or beef, or a festival of fun stuff) may magically appear at any time, or a particularly fast recall means a party by the fridge, it will be much easier to catch and retain her attention!

·
Registered
258 Posts
CD Lilly explained it really well! That is what we worked towards too. And as FJM said, we used this pouch. I wore it all the time so they never knew if it was training time or just hanging out time. I also randomly adjusted the bag so they did not know if I was actually reaching for a treat or not. I discovered it by accident since it’s on a loose belt that I would switch from having it behind me to side or front for easy reach. The one I have has a metal hinge that keeps the pocket open and it is pretty handy. I was going to take a pic of it, but mine is kinda dirty from use. Oops. I found it on amazon though. [URL="https://www.amazon.com/PetSafe-Durable-Convenient-Training-Accessory/]https://www.amazon.com/PetSafe-Durable-Convenient-Training-Accessory[/URL]

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Renn is Almut 11 months. I give him no choice but to listen. HE is on a leash so easily corrected. I too used treats to lure him into say a heel or a look at me but once he understood, I kept them in my pocket and occasionally reward. We are doing pretty good now. Though tomorrow is another day and things could change, LOL. I am petty happy with our progress.
totally agree no choice but to listen, mine are toys but that is the way I trained them. Stated with treats, at the first, but then want them to listen without treats, and they do

1 - 10 of 10 Posts