Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He keeps getting things around the house (remotes, the mouse, wash cloth, slippers) and chewing them up.

He does really well with leave it and drop it during training but in everyday life he will often just be bored and decide to snatch some forbidden item to destroy or run around with.

He drops it when we tell him to because he knows he will sometimes get a treat, but how do we stop him going for the items in the first place?

Any advice? Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
9,055 Posts
That’s a challenging age. I would recommend doing some very strict puppy-proofing of your home to save yourself the stress and preserve that excellent drop-it you’ve trained.

For example, adolescent Peggy thinks it’s really fun to steal magazines. So I stopped stacking magazines within her reach and gave her lots of cardboard to shred instead, to satisfy that urge.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
If Normie can get into one of the guest bedrooms, he hops up on the bed and CHEWS the blanket.

We try to keep that door closed to avoid temptation.

Dogs can be taught to behave (with limits) but they don't understand our values. I translate that to mean that he will obey when I'm in the room; my children (often? sometimes?) followed the rules when I was absent.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That’s a challenging age. I would recommend doing some very strict puppy-proofing of your home to save yourself the stress and preserve that excellent drop-it you’ve trained.

For example, adolescent Peggy thinks it’s really fun to steal magazines. So I stopped stacking magazines within her reach and gave her lots of cardboard to shred instead, to satisfy that urge.
Another problem I have is training my other family members not to leave the items hanging around but I have found that impossible and feel like I am making more of a headsway with training the dog. :cautious:

·
Registered
7,601 Posts
The only way is not to leave stuff lying around. You still have maybe 1 year to go.

Another problem I have is training my other family members not to leave the items hanging around but I have found that impossible and feel like I am making more of a headsway with training the dog.
Just tell them a surgery to remove a blocked object inside a dog’s stomach is between 5 000$ -10 000$. That should do the trick.

·
Registered
8,113 Posts
I got my minipoo when she was almost a year old and I have a new puppy now. My minipoo within the first week chewed up my favorite prescription glasses and my husband's sleep apnea mask and hose. She didn't chew shoes, but she would relocate them making it a headache when we couldn't find them. That was it - lesson learned.

Everything important was put out of her reach no matter how uncomfortable or irritating it was for us. The goal is to not let a dog touch anything inappropriate, not to chew anything of value. If you can do this till your dog is closer to 1.5-2 years old then you can breath a sigh of relief and have a dog that will not be destructive and naughty. I also kept my dog crated when I wasn't home to watch her until she was 1.5 years old. That was when she showed her self to mature enough and safe to be trusted. With a new puppy we've gone back to keeping him away from anything he could damage.

For example, I don't allow my dogs access to paper or tissues because they love to shred them. It's self-rewarded to shred which means just the act of shredding is a treat for them. I don't want to come home and find important papers shredded. I also don't want my dog grabbing a food soiled napkin to shred and then start to eat it because the smell is enticing - that's a dangerous habit.

My dogs have lots of toys - tug toys, squeaky toys, chew toys etc. - there's plenty of appropriate items for them to play and chew safely.

It helps to remember if your dog chew remotes, the mouse, wash cloth, slippers it's because you allowed it to happen. I apologize because it sounds harsh but it's a helpful frame of mind. It's your job to keep these items up high where he can't get them.

I don't know who in your household is the problem - but as Dechi points out, this behavior can lead to expensive surgery or death. It's time to have a family talk. You can help the family follow the rules - anytime you see anything within reach of your minipoo - put it away. If you have kids leaving things out - hide it from both the dogs and the kids. If your children are old enough to understand keeping things away from the dog then they are old enough to be punished by losing access to whatever it was for a time - they will learn quickly to follow the rules if they suffer consequences.

Be thankful you have a minipoo that can't surf countertops or open refrigerators (I had a friend whose dog would raid the fridge.) The work you put in now will pay off handsomely for the life your dog. It's only a few months for years of a wonderful dog.

Reactions: PowersPup

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Well, you have a very normal 1 year old, as others have pointed out! Crate or contain him when you’re not home to protect your belongings and keep him safe. He will outgrow it My mini poo is 2 and will still occasionally chew something strange. Last week she discovered wine corks that I had been collecting in a bowl on a low shelf. Silly me not realizing they were there for the taking! Of course they were all over the house. Harmless probably, but she made a royal mess!

·
Super Moderator
4,023 Posts
I've heard that Grandma's Bitter Apple spray is a deterrent, and you can make your own.

Of interest, an awful lot of members also have listed the Lamb Chop stuffed toy as their poodle's all time favorite. I've been through 6+ in the past three years, I think it's something about the texture and the squeak they love. I also have a ratty throw blanket made of the same material, and not a night goes by that my male doesn't chew on it and even knead it with his paws. I'm pretty sure it's the way his gums feel when he does this. It's also available at Amazon if you want to try it out.

Also raw chicken thigh and leg bones lightly boiled to kill any salmonella might work. See this other thread here on Edible Chews for Puppies.

·
Registered
8,113 Posts
Also raw chicken thigh and leg bones lightly boiled to kill any salmonella might work. See this other thread here on Edible Chews for Puppies.
Vita I have never heard to lightly boil raw chicken bones, but I do know you should never feed dog cooked bones.

·
Super Moderator
4,023 Posts
Yeah, I was told raw bones don't splinter but a quick, short boil will get rid of any salmonella, and to only use the thigh and drumstick bones (minus the little sharp bone attached to the drumstick bone). I don't think most PF's feed bones at all, but it's common in my family and extended fam to give once in awhile for calcium, and we haven't lost a dog yet over three generations (of people). No one, however, feeds them to young puppies.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I would not lightly boil a chicken bone. I have fed raw for years and never had a dog get sick. Also, a dog in good health should be able to tolerate salmonella.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've heard that Grandma's Bitter Apple spray is a deterrent, and you can make your own.

Of interest, an awful lot of members also have listed the Lamb Chop stuffed toy as their poodle's all time favorite. I've been through 6+ in the past three years, I think it's something about the texture and the squeak they love. I also have a ratty throw blanket made of the same material, and not a night goes by that my male doesn't chew on it and even knead it with his paws. I'm pretty sure it's the way his gums feel when he does this. It's also available at Amazon if you want to try it out.

The deterrent I'm using right now doesn't seem to be working so I think I will take your suggestion and try making my own. The lamb chop toy looks great but Jamie is really rough with his toys (he loves chewing), I will try looking for something with a similar fabric but more durable...He does seem to get up to less trouble when he is engaged with a favourite toy....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts