Poodle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It’s been a year tomorrow since I got Stella. We have gone through so much, and I feel more bonded to her than any other female I’ve had. (I’ve always bonded better with males). I will only give a brief description of how she was in the beginning as I’ve posted lots about her.

She was a Tasmanian devil type whirling in a tornado lol. She was crazy! She’d wake up at 7:10am and come and wake me. Immediately she wanted to play. And she’d Play. All. Day. This went on the first three days, and I knew something had to change. She was insistent, persistent and demanding about me playing with her and she was driving me nuts.

After instituting some routines (I’d make her take breaks and be quiet, I’d make her wait before I threw her ball), she became a little more patient and less demanding I do what she wanted.

Fast forward to one year later, she is the ideal dog for my little family and me. She is calm, peaceful, friendly... but still plays with energy and zeal. But now she has a shut off switch. That difference alone would have made it worthwhile.

When I got her I spoke with her previous owner. She never knew what to do with Stella when she was young, so she turned into this tornado of play. Also, Stella didn’t get much physical contact. She cared nothing about affection or loving or cuddling, being scratched, pet or rubbed. I had low expectations of her as I was told, “She just isn’t wired that way.”. I bought into that and resigned myself to having a dog who was very aloof, independent and not loving.

A year later I am thrilled to say she overcame all that, and has proven, every day, that she IS wired to be loving. She spends most of the day with me now. If I am on my recliner, so is she. She lays down in my arms, kisses my chin, rolls around on me and in my arms. She sleeps with me (and Zeke and Oscar) every night. If I am doing something on my phone, she paws at it (hating to share my attention). She even ordered something on Amazon one day lol. I had to cancel it.

I think because of all the dramatic changes she’s gone through, and that she became a dog I could only dream of, she surpassed all my wildest hopes, dreams and expectations. If I sound like I’m in love, it’s because I am. She is still making changes for the better: I just can’t imagine how she will end up. I am so happy to be with her how she is now. (I have always been happy to be with her however she was, just not too sane sometimes).

She is finally showing just how intelligent she is. I’ve always known, in her mix of Poodle and pomeranian, that her intelligence was poodle related. She’s just amazing with what she figures out now, and how she totally understands what I want from her, even with using words or phrases I’ve not used before.

She still plays like a puppy (she’ll be 8 in June) and also has that exuberance. She is so happy! And no longer anxious. Her biggest problem was her barking up until hich is now under control. I can’t think of another thing I would change about her. Every issue has been resolved.

So in saying all that, I guess what I’m really saying is that I couldn’t be happier. She has proven to me that an older dog with tons of baggage, can still turn out to be precious to my heart and so wonderful.

Happy 1st annual Gotcha Day Stella. I can’t imagine my life without your sparkle.

·
Registered
6,763 Posts
Happy gotcha day to a wonderful companion. Look at what a great dog you have allowed her to be. I bet she’s so much happier with you. Lucky girl.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Happy gotcha day Stella! My goodness, those ears are precious. It sounds like she has a very special life with you, lucky dog.

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Happy gotcha day Stella! My goodness, those ears are precious. It sounds like she has a very special life with you, lucky dog.
Awwww! A success for you and that darling. You are lucky to have found each other.
Thank you so much! I would have to say I’m the lucky one here. And her ears are like satellite dishes... pick up everything!

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
This is the best story. I'm hearing much of it for the first time, so thank you for sharing. I'm so happy you found each other. And WHAT A CUTE GIRL she is. Wow. Bet she brings smiles to a lot of faces.

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is the best story. I'm hearing much of it for the first time, so thank you for sharing. I'm so happy you found each other. And WHAT A CUTE GIRL she is. Wow. Bet she brings smiles to a lot of faces.
Thank you! About her bringing smiles... I just hired a pet sitter to stay here and take care of the dogs when I go away at the end of May. She played with them the entire time she was here. She said she thought she’d have a blast asYour dogs are sweet, but fun!” I’ll have to see if she can still function when I return lol.

·
Registered
11,782 Posts
Lovely to read such a happy tale (and tail!) - I think you are both to be congratulated. You recognised what she needed, and she recognised that she had found the right human at last. May there be many, many more happy Gotcha anniversaries.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Happy gotcha day Stella, you certainly look great and you are so lucky to have a wonderful home.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts