Poodle Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #41
Thanks so much Rose N Poos ! I hope the ability to compile it all together becomes easier sooner.

I suggest to everyone that has a good breeder not on this list that they suggest that their breeder provide the information on their sites that will allow them to be on this excellent list! This will be my first place to look for sure :)
Thank you for that suggestion to members!

Not being able to edit the original has been a PITA for sure, but the most frustrating is to learn of breeders that I feel sure do the testing, but if they have a website it often doesn't contain either sire/dam names or their health testing results or links. Facebook as a contact or marketing method is not ideal for finding this information.
I am left with going to OFA and searching by the kennel name to see if there's any current dogs listed or by accidentally running across the breeder name on PawPrint or other labs if they've set the profile to public.

You might've noticed in the updated List more than a couple of references to verify testing with the breeder!

Registered
I would far rather some be left out for their own negligence, than that breeders be included who really have not done the testing or registered it.
It is not your fault that they are not bothering to keep up with necessary documentation!
We are so glad you are doing this for us!

Registered
I love this idea!
I'm going to bite the bullet and recommend my breeder (I'm on a waitlist for an adolescent started training and to be finished as a service dog). I don't have my dog from them yet, but I've been in communication for about 18 months and think they deserve a mention.

APAW - American Poodles At Work
Located in Massachusetts
Standard poodle breeder primarily towards service dogs, but occasionally goes elsewhere-- lines have been part of other programs like nearby DoeValley's, who I believe have some hunting poodles. Jillian uses BetterBred as part of her program (genetic diversity tool) and has been great to work with so far, very open about good and bad and indulges my curiosity enthusiastically to talk about health testing, breeding decisions, OFA vs Penn Hip results...she's been fantastic for me.

Full disclosure that I do not have a poodle in hand yet, but I'm far enough in the process that I'm pretty confident that this is my breeder and if not, it'll be a matter of program and my needs diverging down the line.

Also a note that her website is down but two public Facebook pages are there.
Just want to caution you against APAW. If you look into the health testing results of the dogs she's bred, you'll see some sketchy things... like bitches with cataracts, amongst other things. I considered them years ago and was extremely disturbed by what I turned up.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dogs/comments/8etcph/_/dxyg3eg

Registered
Discussion Starter #44
Just want to caution you against APAW. If you look into the health testing results of the dogs she's bred, you'll see some sketchy things... like bitches with cataracts, amongst other things. I considered them years ago and was extremely disturbed by what I turned up.
You might've noticed in the updated List more than a couple of references to verify testing with the breeder!
As you mention, things happen. Since that was years back, one does hope that she has tightened up the process. I see 45 names of APAW dogs on the OFA site currently. I'm also not looking at every single result nor am I able to identify which currently available pups, if any, came from which sire/dam but I think it's clear that she's doing health testing and publishing on OFA. Health testing is the primary criteria for this list and that's being done.

It's always going to have to be up to the searcher to finish the due diligence.

Registered
It appears that APAW has improved. I would though, appreciate more accurate information. If I look online there are more than one APAW. Is this Am Poodles at Work?, Advocacy for Pets and Affordable Wellness, etc, etc. I have no clue what you are really referring to without a weblink.

Registered
Discussion Starter #46
It appears that APAW has improved. I would though, appreciate more accurate information.
Man o man, I would too!! It would so make this a simpler task. Your suggestion for folks to contact their breeders and
suggest that their breeder provide the information on their sites that will allow them to be on this excellent list
is right on target.

All that would take is for the breeder to have a website or navigable FB page or other publicly available site that lists all their current sires/dams and the link to OFA or the testing sites for results, and to keep that list updated. Registry numbers or names would be cool, too.

Doesn't sound like asking for a lot but I've seen that many, maybe even most breeders, seem to forget that they have a website, or other avenue of making their kennel name public, let alone find the time to update it. If I kept the criteria to my original intent, there would be far fewer breeders on this list, even tho more would qualify.

This is why I take the fallback position so seriously. If we can inform people of what to look for and why it's so important to the health of their own poodle and the Poodle breed (standards, midcentury bottleneck anyone?), and they have the resources to complete their own, most current assessment, then that may be all I can do.

This list, as long as it lasts, will always be a work in progress. Breeders start up, breeders retire, the breeding dogs change. I've come to see that I can only provide the tools and hopefully a lot of good choices to use them on.

Registered
Discussion Starter #47
It appears that APAW has improved. I would though, appreciate more accurate information. If I look online there are more than one APAW. Is this Am Poodles at Work?, Advocacy for Pets and Affordable Wellness, etc, etc. I have no clue what you are really referring to without a weblink.
Yes, they are American Poodles at Work. Jillian actually joined PF in 2015, I think it was, but didn't become active.

I've found a website with a broken entry link but you can still get in thru the side door

FB

and another FB page

and the OFA link

Registered
Discussion Starter #49
No idea if just a fluke or a fix but I got back in to do some edits. The most current iteration is now back at Post #1 and trying yet another title.

Registered
Hi there! I'm new to the chat but have read through the thread and am learning as much as possible. I have been searching for a red toy poodle without much success finding a trustworthy breeder. Wondering if anyone has suggestions for me? We're located in NYC, but have a car and are willing to travel. Thanks in advance! :)

Registered
Discussion Starter #51
Hi and Welcome!

This thread is Stickied above the member posting section to take suggestions from members for breeders to add to the List only. This thread is not intended for discussions :).

If you would go to the same section you're in here, and start your own thread, it will help your visibility in your quest. Just copy and paste your message into a new thread of your own. Also, there are some current threads in that same section from a member or two with the same quest in the same area. You'll see a number of specific recommendations form members in that thread.

Good Luck!

Registered
Rose n Poos... I just came across my list from when I was looking for a poodle here in Ontario. I took out the ones I think you already have and found a couple others. I believe all test, but no one posts their results online :( I

Elan
Stately
Pristine
Tudorose
Signet
Rockhaven
Tallan
Beaucaniche

Ottawa Valley Poodle Club (some mini breeders here too)

Seransil (Alberta)

Registered
Discussion Starter #53
Thanks! I've seen some of those kennel lines listed in pedigrees. It stands to reason that they are doing the testing. If i can find any current results, I want to add them.

Registered
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
I'm getting some results by searching OFA by kennel name. So far I'm pulling results for Elan, Signet, Stately, Pristine, Rockhaven, Beaucaniche and Seransil, but not Tudorose or Tallan. And I know I've seen Tudorose in some fancy places ;).

I'll get those with results added as well as the Ottawa Valley PC. Another "it stands to reason" is that if they're on the PC list, it's pretty certain that they're doing the testing.

I'll keep those last two on my worksheet and we'll see what happens when I dig some more :).

Registered
Some breeders I have been exploring as I research to get a puppy for my family. They seem to have beautiful dogs and do testing:
1. Stonehaus Poodles
Huntington, MA 01050
2. D and D Standard Poodles
Pennsylvania
3.Seransil Standard Poodles

Registered
Discussion Starter #56
Got some updates added in, some US including some Poodle Clubs and a few breeders, Canada got some additional breeders and other Resources, and an interesting International list from one of the Canadian sources. Get your translators out for those. :) Lots of nice photos in them!

Registered
Discussion Starter #57
Some breeders I have been exploring as I research to get a puppy for my family. They seem to have beautiful dogs and do testing:
1. Stonehaus Poodles
Huntington, MA 01050
2. D and D Standard Poodles
Pennsylvania
3.Seransil Standard Poodles
I'm sorry I didn't see this before I finished the edit. I got Seransil just added and have the others on my list to vet then they'll come in on the next edit.

FWoP, I think I've got them all in.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts