Poodle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

Β·
Registered
296 Posts
Our breeder is terrific. Her standards are beautiful and have such wonderful temperaments:
Michelle Birchard, New Destiny
Flourtown, PA
Cleo's sire is Sam, who belongs to a member of the forum here.

Β·
Registered
5 Posts
Oak Hill Standard Poodles in Portage, WI Incredible lady, extremely knowledgeable.
Our mailing address is:
Oak Hill Farm Standard Poodles
W9400 McMahon Rd
Portage, WI 53901-9303

Β·
Registered
3 Posts
I can highly recommend Vision Kennel in Oxford Pennsylvania our Rosie a red standard is now 7 years old. We have had poodles for years. Our previous breeder passed away in #010ish and the lady who took over made a mess o...well she wasn’t Elsa Koenig who developed the red standards. MarY Ann Riess began her breeding from Elsa’s digs. The pups are bred for disposition as well as looks and many become therapy dogs. Our Rosie is the perfect dog ( okay, except for her digging for voles) she is the favorite when she goes to daycare.

Β·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
I strongly recommend:
Diana Barone, breeder
City Lights Standard Poodles
Staten Island, NY 10314

Richard Weisman
Devon, PA 19333
Thanks, added to the pending list

Our breeder is terrific. Her standards are beautiful and have such wonderful temperaments:
Michelle Birchard, New Destiny
Flourtown, PA
Cleo's sire is Sam, who belongs to a member of the forum here.
Thanks. I remembered peppersb mentioning someone she worked with and found them. Already added to the pending list :).
____

I apologize to the two of you below. I hadn't worded the thought behind genetic and other health testing criteria clearly. I've edited to add that the testing results on the breeding parents must be available on the website or links for the results to OFA or the testing lab on the website, at the least to name the lab and have results visible there.

This doesn't mean they don't do the testing or that they're not otherwise good breeders but health testing is very important and results should be openly available for searchers.

Oak Hill Standard Poodles in Portage, WI Incredible lady, extremely knowledgeable.
Our mailing address is:
Oak Hill Farm Standard Poodles
W9400 McMahon Rd
Portage, WI 53901-9303
Thanks for the recommendation. They mention testing but don't provide the results on the breeding parents or links to OFA or the testing lab on the site.

We do genetic testing on all of our dogs. Results, if requested, are offered for viewing when you come to visit us.

I can highly recommend Vision Kennel in Oxford Pennsylvania our Rosie a red standard is now 7 years old. We have had poodles for years. Our previous breeder passed away in #010ish and the lady who took over made a mess o...well she wasn’t Elsa Koenig who developed the red standards. MarY Ann Riess began her breeding from Elsa’s digs. The pups are bred for disposition as well as looks and many become therapy dogs. Our Rosie is the perfect dog ( okay, except for her digging for voles) she is the favorite when she goes to daycare.
Thank you for the recommendation, They mention testing but don't provide the results on the breeding parents or links to OFA or the testing lab on the website.

** I found results listed on one stud not retired but not on the dam/s **

" We have a history of doing ALL genetic testing on our parents. All of our adult dogs have been temperament tested too. All necessary screening for known problems in Standard poodles has done since our first female, 9 generation straight."

Β·
Registered
7 Posts
Serious breeders and mentors. This is where my Tonka came from. Diane and Peter will take you as deep into the Poodle world as you care to go. They hold regular get-togethers and practice sessions for various trials.
Cantope Standard Poodles
Riley is from Cantope! Diane and Peter were super welcoming and helpful through the process of deciding to bring home a poodle, especially for me as a poodle newbie.

Β·
Registered
40 Posts
Ok so this time I'm compiling a list to use as reference when members ask for breeder recommendations. I know that even with everybody helping, it won't be a comprehensive list, but it'll be a big help. Names can be added easily enough.

If you have worked with or know of a breeder that does the genetic and other health testing appropriate to variety as a minimum standard,

ETA and lists or links the results on the breeding parents on the website*,

and you would want to see their name on a collected list rather than strewn all over PF, please respond with their name and location, and the link woud be cool, too :)

This thread is intended just to get the names, variety, and location.

I know I've missed some of our breeder members, and some often recommended breeders, but I'm far from finished. This is what I have so far:

🐩🐩🐩🐩🐩🐩🐩🐩🐩🐩🐩🐩🐩🐩🐩🐩🐩🐩🐩🐩🐩🐩🐩🐩🐩🐩🐩🐩🐩

S/Standard M/Miniature T/Toy

PFM/Poodle Forum Member

Poodle Club of America

AKC Registry Lookup

OFA Lookup

Poodle Pedigree Database

β€’ Alabama

β€’ Alaska

β€’ Arizona
Bernice Cano – Belstar Toy Poodles – T – Vail, AZ – [email protected] - www.gooddog.com/breeders/belstar-toy-poodles-arizona

β€’ Arkansas

β€’ California
SoCal S/M

Milford Ca Standards

M/T

M

Zamora T

Karamba?

S/T

β€’ Colorado
Jim Johnson – JJ’s – MS – Colorado Springs, CO – 719-235-3523 – [email protected]
Harmony Miniature Poodles – M – Arvada, CO - 720-352-3135 - [email protected] - harmonypoodles.com

β€’ Connecticut
T
www.madelapoodles.com/
S

β€’ Delaware

β€’ Florida

β€’ Georgia

β€’ Hawaii

β€’ Idaho

β€’ Illinois

β€’ Indiana
About
S
β€’ Iowa

β€’ Kansas

β€’ Kentucky
Cosmic caliber standard poodles
S
β€’ Louisiana
New Orleans S PFM

β€’ Maine

β€’ Maryland

β€’ Massachusetts

β€’ Michigan

β€’ Minnesota
M PFM

Absolute Silver, Miniature Poodles, AGILITY, CONFORMATION and OBEDIENCE, Winona, MN
M

β€’ Mississippi

β€’ Missouri

β€’ Montana

β€’ Nebraska

β€’ Nevada
S/M/T

β€’ New Hampshire

β€’ New Jersey
S

β€’ New Mexico
Mickey Kern – Newmont – T – Grants, NM - (505) 290-7835 – [email protected] –
DeWitt Bolden – Completely Gone to the Dogs – M – Albuquerque - 505-797-1653
β€’ New York
Propert's Way Ranch
S
City Lights Standard Poodles - Home
S

β€’ North Carolina
M
www.classicpoodles.com
Eaglehill-South Poodles
M
β€’ North Dakota

β€’ Ohio

β€’ Oklahoma

β€’ Oregon
S

β€’ Pennsylvania
Red and Apricot Standard Poodles | Farleys D Standard Poodles
FarleysD S PFM
S

β€’ Rhode Island

β€’ South Carolina

β€’ South Dakota

β€’ Tennessee
Miniature Poodle Breeders | Www.danubepoodles.com | United States
M
Gwynt Standard Poodles – Elegant, Versatile, Sound of Mind and Body
S
Mount Bethel Poodles, Limestone TN
S
β€’ Texas
S/M

M

T

β€’ Utah
Desert Reef
S
Karen Green – Desert Reef – S – St George, UT - (435) 688-1739 (435) 619-6019 - [email protected] – desertreefpoodles.com
β€’ Vermont

β€’ Virginia

β€’ Washington
M

S/M/T
Oakridge Standard Poodles
S
β€’ West Virginia

β€’ Wisconsin

β€’ Wyoming

International
Canadian Kennel Club

Canada
Ontario S PFM

Toronto, Ontario S
Ok so this time I'm compiling a list to use as reference when members ask for breeder recommendations. I know that even with everybody helping, it won't be a comprehensive list, but it'll be a big help. Names can be added easily enough.

If you have worked with or know of a breeder that does the genetic and other health testing appropriate to variety as a minimum standard,

ETA and lists or links the results on the breeding parents on the website*,

and you would want to see their name on a collected list rather than strewn all over PF, please respond with their name and location, and the link woud be cool, too :)

This thread is intended just to get the names, variety, and location.

I know I've missed some of our breeder members, and some often recommended breeders, but I'm far from finished. This is what I have so far:

S/Standard M/Miniature T/Toy

PFM/Poodle Forum Member

Poodle Club of America

AKC Registry Lookup

OFA Lookup

Poodle Pedigree Database

β€’ Alabama

β€’ Alaska

β€’ Arizona
Bernice Cano – Belstar Toy Poodles – T – Vail, AZ – [email protected] - www.gooddog.com/breeders/belstar-toy-poodles-arizona

β€’ Arkansas

β€’ California
SoCal S/M

Milford Ca Standards

M/T

M

Zamora T

Karamba?

S/T

β€’ Colorado
Jim Johnson – JJ’s – MS – Colorado Springs, CO – 719-235-3523 – [email protected]
Harmony Miniature Poodles – M – Arvada, CO - 720-352-3135 - [email protected] - harmonypoodles.com

β€’ Connecticut
T
www.madelapoodles.com/
S

β€’ Delaware

β€’ Florida

β€’ Georgia

β€’ Hawaii

β€’ Idaho

β€’ Illinois

β€’ Indiana
About
S
β€’ Iowa

β€’ Kansas

β€’ Kentucky
Cosmic caliber standard poodles
S
β€’ Louisiana
New Orleans S PFM

β€’ Maine

β€’ Maryland

β€’ Massachusetts

β€’ Michigan

β€’ Minnesota
M PFM

Absolute Silver, Miniature Poodles, AGILITY, CONFORMATION and OBEDIENCE, Winona, MN
M

β€’ Mississippi

β€’ Missouri

β€’ Montana

β€’ Nebraska

β€’ Nevada
S/M/T

β€’ New Hampshire

β€’ New Jersey
S

β€’ New Mexico
Mickey Kern – Newmont – T – Grants, NM - (505) 290-7835 – mickey[email protected] –
DeWitt Bolden – Completely Gone to the Dogs – M – Albuquerque - 505-797-1653
β€’ New York
Propert's Way Ranch
S
City Lights Standard Poodles - Home
S

β€’ North Carolina
M
www.classicpoodles.com
Eaglehill-South Poodles
M
β€’ North Dakota

β€’ Ohio

β€’ Oklahoma

β€’ Oregon
S

β€’ Pennsylvania
Red and Apricot Standard Poodles | Farleys D Standard Poodles
FarleysD S PFM
S

β€’ Rhode Island

β€’ South Carolina

β€’ South Dakota

β€’ Tennessee
Miniature Poodle Breeders | Www.danubepoodles.com | United States
M
Gwynt Standard Poodles – Elegant, Versatile, Sound of Mind and Body
S
Mount Bethel Poodles, Limestone TN
S
β€’ Texas
S/M

M

T

β€’ Utah
Desert Reef
S
Karen Green – Desert Reef – S – St George, UT - (435) 688-1739 (435) 619-6019 - [email protected] – desertreefpoodles.com
β€’ Vermont

β€’ Virginia

β€’ Washington
M

S/M/T
Oakridge Standard Poodles
S
β€’ West Virginia

β€’ Wisconsin

β€’ Wyoming

International
Canadian Kennel Club

Canada
Ontario S PFM

Toronto, Ontario S
in New Hampshire: Crabapple Downs, Colebrook NH. Standards, Moyens. Health testing. Part of the genetic diversity study.

Β·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
in New Hampshire: Crabapple Downs, Colebrook NH. Standards, Moyens. Health testing. Part of the genetic diversity study.
Thanks for the recommendation. I've looked over the website and she does mention testing and the Poodle Health Registry but does not provide testing results of the breeding parents or links to OFA or the testing lab on the website.

Websites can be the last place a breeder pays attention to but is likely a first place a searcher will look. Not having breeding parents results listed or linked doesn't mean they don't do the appropriate health testing but if they have done it, it's much more helpful for searchers to see it at the same time on the website.

Reactions: Liz

Β·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Phoenix, Arizona area- Daniel Chavez- Danfour- Miniature
Seattle, Washington area- Beverly Jean Nelson- Heatherly- Toy, Miniature
A bit of online research suggests these are excellent suggestions but I'm not finding websites with any of those names, which may be understandable given what I think the level they're working at is, but as soon as I find contact info to add and verify the health testing, they'll get added,

Β·
Registered
99 Posts
A bit of online research suggests these are excellent suggestions but I'm not finding websites with any of those names, which may be understandable given what I think the level they're working at is, but as soon as I find contact info to add and verify the health testing, they'll get added,
I don't think either of them have websites but here are their phone numbers, if that would help:
Beverly Jean Nelson: 206-550-2741
Daniel Chavez: 480-603-6734

Β·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Thank you for this! I am so glad that you are requiring in this list breeders that do the genetic and other health testing appropriate to variety as a minimum standard, and include the results for the breeding parents on their website.

I was sent on many wild goose chases in my search by people recommending breeders who 'have wonderful, beautiful poodles', and then having to spend hours and days trying to get the information.

Β·
Registered
26 Posts
I love this idea!
I'm going to bite the bullet and recommend my breeder (I'm on a waitlist for an adolescent started training and to be finished as a service dog). I don't have my dog from them yet, but I've been in communication for about 18 months and think they deserve a mention.

APAW - American Poodles At Work
Located in Massachusetts
Standard poodle breeder primarily towards service dogs, but occasionally goes elsewhere-- lines have been part of other programs like nearby DoeValley's, who I believe have some hunting poodles. Jillian uses BetterBred as part of her program (genetic diversity tool) and has been great to work with so far, very open about good and bad and indulges my curiosity enthusiastically to talk about health testing, breeding decisions, OFA vs Penn Hip results...she's been fantastic for me.

Full disclosure that I do not have a poodle in hand yet, but I'm far enough in the process that I'm pretty confident that this is my breeder and if not, it'll be a matter of program and my needs diverging down the line.

Also a note that her website is down but two public Facebook pages are there.

Β·
Registered
4,275 Posts
American Poodles At Work
I swear I've heard of that lot before. Maybe in connection with SpooSpirit??
I think she was somewhere in them thar mountains.
Or maybe that's just my feverish brain....
Anyway... love her training videos and tuts! (The APAW girl.)
My next dog will learn to fetch me a drink from the fridge. :)

Β·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
American Poodles At Work
I swear I've heard of that lot before. Maybe in connection with SpooSpirit??
I think she was somewhere in them thar mountains.
Or maybe that's just my feverish brain....
Anyway... love her training videos and tuts! (The APAW girl.)
My next dog will learn to fetch me a drink from the fridge. :)
CB, I love it when you drop by :). You frequently write something which causes me to dive into the PF archives and learn something new about the history of PF.

This time, it's that Jillian/APAW actually joined PF in 2015, and before and after that, several members have posted relating to APAW.

🐩 🐩🐩🐩🐩🐩🐩🐩🐩🐩🐩🐩🐩🐩🐩🐩🐩🐩🐩🐩🐩🐩🐩🐩🐩🐩🐩

On a tangent, some of you may have noticed that progress has stalled a bit. This is due to several technical issues. One is editing allowances within PF for old posts, another was a problem using Search within PF which was fixed by resetting my network adapter but another issue with my internet provider has had a bigger impact.

For some reason beginning April 29 I started getting DNS errors trying to access OFA.org and a few other sites, using any device with any browser, while on my home network. Days later I'm still waiting for their next level folk to look into this.

I've got a working document where I'm adding names provisionally, til I can vet any health info mentioned on websites.

Websites have given me another reality check. I'd wanted to keep the list to breeders with websites. I know those are often the last thing on a breeders mind, but I feel it's a first place many people will be looking for.

The reality is that even websites which are kept relatively current can still be outdated and some good breeders don't really have any sort of business presence online, unless you count Facebook. Their clientele tend to be word of mouth.

My plan for adding these but keeping provable health testing is going to be an additional key with probably one of three or four categories to go under each breeder entry like:

HEALTH TESTING DONE BY BREEDER

1/ Health testing of breeding parents mentioned on site – info or links provided by breeder – verification by searcher needed of which tests done and results verified at OFA/testing lab site

2/ Health testing (of breeding parents) mentioned on site – no info or links – searcher to verify with breeder which tests done and results verified at OFA/testing lab site

3/ Health testing (of breeding parents) not mentioned on site – searcher to verify with breeder if any tests done, which tests done, and results verified at OFA/testing lab site.

4/ something like Health testing found on OFA but no corresponding breeder site to review (this for the FB or word of mouth breeders) - searcher to verify...

Anyhow, hoping to get back on this soon. This is a project which could take a long time :)

Reactions: kontiki

Β·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I am wondering if some of the employees who used to keep up sites are not working during the pandemic?
I'm sure that's a factor but there's others which last mention new or upcoming litters "in 2019" or even further back but they otherwise check out.

As soon as I can get back into OFA, I'll continue to verify and document what I can but I now think that reminding folks to also verify any health testing is a good idea. Something that occurred to me in this process was that the breeders may retire some dogs and add new ones after I last looked at the site. I'll try to have all the tools gathered here jic.

Reactions: kontiki

Β·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
Please Go to Post #1​
(link below) for current List

Β·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Thanks so much Rose N Poos ! I hope the ability to compile it all together becomes easier sooner.

I suggest to everyone that has a good breeder not on this list that they suggest that their breeder provide the information on their sites that will allow them to be on this excellent list! This will be my first place to look for sure :)

21 - 40 of 61 Posts