Francis has cancer again
Other Animals Discuss other animals. Dogs, cats, birds, forum.
06-10-2019, 10:45 AM
( 1 )
Join Date: Nov 2015
Names of dogs: Noelle And Francis
Poodle Type: Moyen
Location: Chicagoland, Illinois
Thanked 8,890 Times in 2,448 Posts
Francis has cancer again
Francis has another lump on her belly, a few inches away from where her mast cell tumor was. I just got a call from the vet. It's another mast cell tumor. Her last tumor was Grade II, halfway between low risk and aggressive cancer. Boston Terriers are one of the breeds that are prone to this type of cancer. So, here we go again.
Mast cell tumors are hard to predict. 60% of the time, the dog never gets another one. Francis is in the other 40%, probably because she's a BT. Multiple skin tumors don't seem to pose extra risk for survival, which is good. Grade II is more guarded, though because the cells pose a risk for metastasis, which is bad. We're in that middle ground right now.
We'll have it removed on Thursday. Because this is her second tumor, I think we'll make an appointment with the oncology vet just to find out if there is something else we can do. I'd like to avoid tumor number three if we can.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Click-N-Treat For This Useful Post:
06-10-2019, 11:05 AM
( 2 )
Join Date: Mar 2015
Names of dogs: Rory
Poodle Type: Standard
Thanked 2,843 Times in 1,673 Posts
Oh no! Poor little Francis. Hope the removal goes smoothly and all goes well with the oncologist.
The Following User Says Thank You to Muggles For This Useful Post:
06-10-2019, 11:44 AM
( 3 )
Join Date: Aug 2014
Names of dogs: Asta
Poodle Type: Male Black Standard
Location: Northport, Alabama, USA
Thanked 2,990 Times in 2,043 Posts
Fingers crossed that the removal goes well. I know you must be worried but will put you & Francis on my prayer list.
Best wishes - Claire &
Asta: Psychiatric Service Dog
The Following User Says Thank You to Asta's Mom For This Useful Post:
06-10-2019, 12:48 PM
( 4 )
Join Date: Jun 2010
Names of dogs: Sophy (Papillon), Poppy
Poodle Type: Toy Poodle
Location: North of England
Thanked 17,456 Times in 6,928 Posts
Hope it is straightforward, and removing the lump removes the cancer.
To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden,
where doing nothing was not boring- it was peace.
~ Milan Kundera
The Following User Says Thank You to fjm For This Useful Post:
06-10-2019, 02:01 PM
( 5 )
Join Date: Jul 2016
Names of dogs: Morning Glory-Aeryís Backwoods Barbie AKA Babykins
Poodle Type: miniature poodle
Thanked 6,460 Times in 3,971 Posts
Poor Francis. I hope everything goes smoothly. You are wise to see an oncologist
"Babykins" Morning Glory-Aery's Backwoods Barbie CGCA, TKP, ACT1, BN, SCN, SIN,AKC Achiever Dog,TDI (Therapy Dog International)
WCRL Rally titles: RL1, RL1X Award of Excellence, RL2, RL3
AKC CGCA=Community Canine Good Citizen + Canine Good Citizen, TKP= Trick Dog Performer + Novice + Intermediate +Advanced) ACT1=Agility Course Trial 1, BN=Beginner Novice Obedience, SCN=Scent Work Container Novice, SIN=Scent Work Interior Novice
C-Wags title -Scent Patrol Level 1, Scent Detective Level 2
The Following User Says Thank You to Skylar For This Useful Post:
06-10-2019, 02:28 PM
( 6 )
Join Date: Jan 2017
Thanked 2,173 Times in 1,446 Posts
Sorry you and Francis have to go thru it again. MCT are quite prevalent also in boxers. Many of my daughters boxer forum friends have had to deal with this too.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mufar42 For This Useful Post:
06-10-2019, 02:41 PM
( 7 )
Join Date: Jun 2014
Names of dogs: Buck
Poodle Type: Standard
Thanked 10,720 Times in 6,024 Posts
Hope the surgery goes well but so very sorry that Francis didn’t get the better odds. I agree you are wise to consult with an oncologist. Hugs from Houston!
06-10-2019, 03:05 PM
( 8 )
Join Date: Aug 2015
Names of dogs: Merlin
Poodle Type: Toy
Thanked 7,565 Times in 3,522 Posts
Poor Francis ! I hope itís benign and itís the last one.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dechi For This Useful Post:
06-10-2019, 03:16 PM
( 9 )
Join Date: May 2018
Names of dogs: Louie
Poodle Type: Miniature - cream
Location: New York
Thanked 814 Times in 349 Posts
Hope she has a quick recovery and it is the last one!
The Following User Says Thank You to Moni For This Useful Post:
06-10-2019, 03:47 PM
( 10 )
Join Date: Jul 2012
Names of dogs: Lily, Javelin and Peeves (GSD)
Poodle Type: 2 standards
Location: Long Island, NY
Thanked 36,232 Times in 15,427 Posts
Well this is very upsetting for you and I am sorry Francis has to have surgery (which I hope is easy and curative). One of the things I find comforting when dealing with such things is that dogs and cats don't know anything about what cancer is.
All times are GMT -8. The time now is