Poodle Forum - Standard Poodle, Toy Poodle, Miniature Poodle Forum ALL Poodle owners too! - View Single Post - How much walking does a standard poodle need?
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2019, 10:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
Moni
Points: 6,101, Level: 53 Points: 6,101, Level: 53 Points: 6,101, Level: 53
Activity: 20.8% Activity: 20.8% Activity: 20.8%
Last Achievements

Names of dogs: Louie
Poodle Type: Miniature - cream

Good question! I have a mini and made a mistake there at the beginning - underestimating that size difference makes a big difference. I am still in the camp that "a tired dog is a good dog" but I forgot that some dogs show that they are tired differently. So we were on the upper edge of the Puppy Culture guidelines - mileage wise - and the little mini was all guts and glory and go-go-go so we did our usual walks, which we had done for years with the big dogs. Low and behold Louie came down with a slight Luxating Patella, which his breeders quickly assured me was not running in their lines at all and was a growing and overexercising issue. The vet sided with them and we started taking it very easy. Walking often but much shorter distances and minding the pace - again according to the chart we were never over but it was too much for him at that time. So now 6 months later no more patella issues at all - whew! And the breeders and vet were completely correct - it was my fault overestimating his abilities.
Moni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moni For This Useful Post:
Countryboy (08-02-2019), Eric (07-09-2019)