Hexe s journey home - Page 3 - Poodle Forum - Standard Poodle, Toy Poodle, Miniature Poodle Forum ALL Poodle owners too!
   

Go Back   Poodle Forum - Standard Poodle, Toy Poodle, Miniature Poodle Forum ALL Poodle owners too! > Poodle Forums > Poodle Pictures

Poodle Pictures Share those lovable poodle pictures with the world!

PoodleForum.com is the premier Poodle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2019, 04:24 PM   #21 (permalink)
Senior Member
Points: 10,355, Level: 70 Points: 10,355, Level: 70 Points: 10,355, Level: 70
Activity: 51.6% Activity: 51.6% Activity: 51.6%
Last Achievements
 
Rose n Poos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Names of dogs: Neo and Remo
Poodle Type: mini
Location: Kansas, USA
Posts: 923
Thanks: 3,004
Thanked 1,168 Times in 634 Posts
Default

Something to get you started. Don't know if the links will be active this way:

Hi

Regarding neutering, the science now seems to lean to leaving a male intact, with some exceptions.

A link to a very long article below from a previous post on this subject:

Benefits and Risks of Neutering–An Evidence-Based Approach | The SkeptVet

and this is the link to an even longer paper by the same author:

http://skeptvet.com/Blog/wp-content/...s-and-Cats.pdf

Excerpted from the conclusion:

"In male dogs, the individual benefits of castration are not clearly greater than the risks. In the absence of established problems with aggression, roaming, or prostate disease, it does not appear that neutering has predictable health benefits for individual dogs. And while the potential of increased cancer risk appears less significant for males than females, other breed-specific risks, such as that of cruciate ligament disease, are likely greater in neutered males. The population benefits, of course, argue in favor of routine neutering of male dogs. However, in terms of individual health, a strong case can be made for not
routinely neutering male dogs."

Mine are mini's. We decided to neuter just after 1yr, when they'd pretty much reached physical maturity. The loss of those hormones too soon can adversely affect many body systems, some sooner, some later. In the research I've done online, it seems to me that the loss of the hormones, especially too young, might be the catalyst for a lot of the problems. If neutering is a possibility, or even if required by contract, etc, waiting til physical maturity is reached (age varies) gives your pup the best chances.


Ok this link should get to the blog and the other links:

http://skeptvet.com/Blog/

A general internet search for neutering male poodle should bring more results backing this position up.
__________________


Living the Poodle Life since 1963:
Mimi, Missy, Sass, Holly and Noel, Neo and Remo

Last edited by Rose n Poos; 08-18-2019 at 04:31 PM.
Rose n Poos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rose n Poos For This Useful Post:
Vita (08-23-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-18-2019, 04:31 PM   #22 (permalink)
Member
Points: 318, Level: 6 Points: 318, Level: 6 Points: 318, Level: 6
Activity: 6.5% Activity: 6.5% Activity: 6.5%
Last Achievements
 
langhamsv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 36
Thanks: 0
Thanked 38 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose n Poos View Post
Something to get you started. Don't know if the links will be active this way:



Hi



Regarding neutering, the science now seems to lean to leaving a male intact, with some exceptions.



A link to a very long article below from a previous post on this subject:



Benefits and Risks of Neutering–An Evidence-Based Approach | The SkeptVet



and this is the link to an even longer paper by the same author:



http://skeptvet.com/Blog/wp-content/...s-and-Cats.pdf



Excerpted from the conclusion:



"In male dogs, the individual benefits of castration are not clearly greater than the risks. In the absence of established problems with aggression, roaming, or prostate disease, it does not appear that neutering has predictable health benefits for individual dogs. And while the potential of increased cancer risk appears less significant for males than females, other breed-specific risks, such as that of cruciate ligament disease, are likely greater in neutered males. The population benefits, of course, argue in favor of routine neutering of male dogs. However, in terms of individual health, a strong case can be made for not

routinely neutering male dogs."



Mine are mini's. We decided to neuter just after 1yr, when they'd pretty much reached physical maturity. The loss of those hormones too soon can adversely affect many body systems, some sooner, some later. In the research I've done online, it seems to me that the loss of the hormones, especially too young, might be the catalyst for a lot of the problems. If neutering is a possibility, or even if required by contract, etc, waiting til physical maturity is reached (age varies) gives your pup the best chances.
Thank you so much for the information ,it does answer a lot of the questions I had about when to have papa fixed. It is always good to to know more facts to make the best decisions for him .

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
langhamsv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 04:53 PM   #23 (permalink)
Member
Points: 318, Level: 6 Points: 318, Level: 6 Points: 318, Level: 6
Activity: 6.5% Activity: 6.5% Activity: 6.5%
Last Achievements
 
langhamsv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 36
Thanks: 0
Thanked 38 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Good evening folks does anybody know the best way to remove tree sap off a naughty little poodle ? He loves that tree but we are in a sticky situation. Haha

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
langhamsv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-22-2019, 05:06 PM   #24 (permalink)
Senior Member
Points: 1,339, Level: 21 Points: 1,339, Level: 21 Points: 1,339, Level: 21
Activity: 20.6% Activity: 20.6% Activity: 20.6%
Last Achievements
 
Raindrops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Names of dogs: Misha
Poodle Type: Black Miniature
Location: Miami
Posts: 147
Thanks: 41
Thanked 208 Times in 101 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by langhamsv View Post
Good evening folks does anybody know the best way to remove tree sap off a naughty little poodle ? He loves that tree but we are in a sticky situation. Haha

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
Haha I might be tempted to just shave it all off at that point! If you aren't in favor of that, I'd try something like mineral oil or peanut butter, followed by a good shampoo.
Raindrops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 05:12 PM   #25 (permalink)
Member
Points: 318, Level: 6 Points: 318, Level: 6 Points: 318, Level: 6
Activity: 6.5% Activity: 6.5% Activity: 6.5%
Last Achievements
 
langhamsv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 36
Thanks: 0
Thanked 38 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raindrops View Post
Haha I might be tempted to just shave it all off at that point! If you aren't in favor of that, I'd try something like mineral oil or peanut butter, followed by a good shampoo.
Cool thank you so much ,I did not know about peanut butter ,I will give that a shot. Papa is 12 weeks old and has not figured out tree sap yet .I swear Hexe is laughing at him. .

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
langhamsv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 05:43 PM   #26 (permalink)
Member
Points: 318, Level: 6 Points: 318, Level: 6 Points: 318, Level: 6
Activity: 6.5% Activity: 6.5% Activity: 6.5%
Last Achievements
 
langhamsv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 36
Thanks: 0
Thanked 38 Times in 10 Posts
Default

That was good times with a little peanut butter and Rosmary and mint shampoo we have one unsticky Papa. Thank you for the info .

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
langhamsv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to langhamsv For This Useful Post:
Rose n Poos (08-22-2019), Vita (08-23-2019)
Old 08-23-2019, 12:21 PM   #27 (permalink)
Senior Member
Points: 22,451, Level: 100 Points: 22,451, Level: 100 Points: 22,451, Level: 100
Activity: 99.4% Activity: 99.4% Activity: 99.4%
Last Achievements
 
Vita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Names of dogs: Bella & Sachii
Poodle Type: Two epic toys!
Location: DC
Posts: 2,165
Thanks: 3,292
Thanked 2,578 Times in 1,178 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose n Poos View Post
Others will jump in asap.
it's highly recommended that you hold off on neutering til he's reached physical maturity,18m-24m, usually. There's compelling medical evidence for males behind this suggestion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by langhamsv View Post
Thank you I was not aware of that, I will have to do more research on the subject .
Hi Lang! Yes, there are quite a few members who don't neuter their males until 18 to 24 months and some not at all. Doing this too early impacts hormones, bone growth plates and much more. Here are a few links to get you started:


For owners of both males and females, this article below very helpful:

Determining the Best Age at Which to Spay or Neuter a Dog


These links address mostly neutering males:

Before You Do Something Permanent, Know About Growth Plates

Don’t Neuter Your Dog YET

Long-Term Health Effects of Neutering Dogs
Vita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 12:28 PM   #28 (permalink)
Senior Member
Points: 22,451, Level: 100 Points: 22,451, Level: 100 Points: 22,451, Level: 100
Activity: 99.4% Activity: 99.4% Activity: 99.4%
Last Achievements
 
Vita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Names of dogs: Bella & Sachii
Poodle Type: Two epic toys!
Location: DC
Posts: 2,165
Thanks: 3,292
Thanked 2,578 Times in 1,178 Posts
Default

Rose, I couldn't access your link to skepvet.com, but maybe this one will work:

Neutered Dogs Live Longer than Intact Dogs
Vita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 02:54 PM   #29 (permalink)
Member
Points: 318, Level: 6 Points: 318, Level: 6 Points: 318, Level: 6
Activity: 6.5% Activity: 6.5% Activity: 6.5%
Last Achievements
 
langhamsv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 36
Thanks: 0
Thanked 38 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vita View Post
Rose, I couldn't access your link to skepvet.com, but maybe this one will work:



Neutered Dogs Live Longer than Intact Dogs
Thank you so much for the links and info I will definitely read up on this Papa is the first male spoo I have ever had I usually have females but he was too cute and was the first that walked up to me so I could not tell him no. Haha

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
langhamsv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:19 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
All (C) PoodleForum.com
PetGuide.com
Basset Hound Forum Doberman Forum Golden Retriever Forum Beagle Forum
Boxer Forum Dog Forum Pit Bull Forum Poodle Forum
Bulldog Forum Fish Forum Havanese Forum Maltese Forum
Cat Forum German Shepherd Forum Labradoodle Forum Yorkie Forum Hedgehog Forum
Chihuahua Forum Retriever Breeds Cichlid Forum Dart Frog Forum Mice Breeder Forum