Poodle Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Poodle personality related to color?

17K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  PeggyTheParti 
#1 ·
I have read on more than one occasion that a poodle's personality is related to it's color, such as brown=clown, silver=aloof etc. and I was wondering if it has any truth to it. Do colors affect personality, is it because certain lines tend to produce certain colors, or is there no truth to that at all? How would a parti or phantom spoo be affected since they are multi colored?

What color are your poodles and how would you describe their personality? My boys are both silver and are very laid back. Nothing seem to bother them.

#2 ·
I have a red and she is wired for sound. I would not in any way call her hyper, but she is very driven. She is intense and focused. Not really food motivated, but very toy and play motivated. She can go and go and go and go and go! lol High prey drive as well.

#4 ·
I agree the reds are very driven and focused but fun on the same hand ..HUGE prey drive..Bunnies beware!
Very playful and loving .:)

My silver is intense and focused . Very much an alpha .. Totally in control at all times...Very intense and loves to play... No one will break in our house with her here..
None of my dogs need a leash ...

#3 ·
Olie - Apricot. He is still a puppy but I will try. He is very affectionate, playful (clownish) and very active - almost hyper at times and he jumps all the time. Jumps in the air, over the dogs he is going a good bit. He is also a bit stubborn - we have to very firm with commands and he is really fighting some of them.

Suri - Silver adult. She is all of the above but more reserved but deliberate, very protective but not aggressive at all. She is much more laid back but as a puppy I was told she pretty active. Suri is a curious girl. I seen this today at the park - she investigates everything.

I have read thing's like this on colors, and to be honest the places that I have read the information that poodle personalities vary on color is on sites where someone has select colors they prefer to others:) I really find it hard to believe that a color has much to do with who they are. I could be wrong and hey I cant wait to see what people say. Good thread

#7 · (Edited)
Temperments come from mom and dad ;) color coding personalities is a pure myth.[/QUOT

I could not agree more with this statement!! I grew up with blacks, then my Mom began breeding silvers. The biggest clown we ever had in our home was a black named Bibelot`s Mind Your Manners. This dog did not ever wag his tail...his entire back end wagged. He was a total goofball, unless he was in the ring. The only nasty poodle we ever had was a female, black, and she HATED men with a passion.

When Mom began breeding silvers, she would have people call saying they were interested in a pup but heard that if a Poodle was going to be nasty, it would be a silver. Well, holy smokes, somebody ought to tell Thinker and his offspring because he (and they) were some of the most laid back Spoos I have ever seen. He is pushy in wanting affection and demanding if he wants to go outside, but is othewise a very content and personable soul who loves EVERYONE.

Holly is the most un-alpha dog on the face of the earth. She is happy living a quiet, calm life with her people, but is a nervous Nelly when new people enter our home. She is playful when she wants to be, but is never pushy or demanding of your time or attention. She has turned into one of the best and easiest adult dogs to live with in my lifetime.

I also have two Whippets whose personalities are very similar to the Spoos, so while I believe the colour coding is nonsense, I also believe it is almost entirely how they are raised so personality does not need to be breed specific either. My Mother and I obviously raised our dogs in much the same way, and our dogs are very simiilar in temperament. I have raised Holly and the Whippets the same and their personalities are similar. If you raise a dog with it knowing what is expected of it, and demand the same from any in your home, you will have alphas and more submissive dogs because a pecking order is formed in their first pack-their litter. But, they will become quite similar over time, with each having their own little quirks based on where they were in the pecking order of their litter, but not because of colour or breed.

I have a vet tech friend who bought one of my Whippet puppies and she also has to Pit Bulls. Her Whippet boy and the two Pit Bull girls are very similar because they have been raised in exactly the same manner, with the same expectations for each of them.

I have lived with blacks, whites, silvers and redsd and have found that they are all much the same in disposition because they were all raised in much the same way. Manners the goofball was a doofus because we encouraged that in him. Zodiac was nasty and we have no idea why but put it down to a man teasing or hurting her when she was young. But I do not believe these things were not because of their colour.

#6 ·
My first spoo Rusty was an apricot. He remained playful till the day he died (he was definately a pup at heart). He was very protective of me and the kids and a independant soul. He also had a very high prey drive (all squirrels, ducks and geese beware) but was wonderful with other dogs and cats.

Sport my current apricot is a laid back couch potato (if he was any calmer he'd be a gund). He has a high prey drive but isn't playful at all. He is a velcro dog and is almost always around me.

Betty Jo and Jenny are litter sisters and are both red. Betty Jo is the alpha (or at least would be if Sport would agree!!) She is an extremely confident girl who adores playing and is also a velcro dog. She'll cuddle by the hour. She doesn't seem to notice or care much about squirrels etc. Betty Jo loves to please you.

Jenny is the calmer and more independant. Though she loves to play. She has a higher prey drive then her sister and is interested in squirrels and houseflys. Jenny is also more stubborn then her sister.

With all the differences that exist or existed between my dogs I've got to say I don't believe that the it had to do with colour. The dogs that were most similar in temperament were different colours. I think that there are a lot of other factors that go into the forming of a dogs personality. Sport was a kennel dog before we got him at age of 4. If I were to use one word to sum him it it would be grateful (as well as a solid hunk of love). We had Rusty from 8 weeks old. All he knew his life was love. It makes for a very different temperament.

#9 ·
Wow that was quite a tale Arreau :)
I agree that color is not a factor in temperment it is all about environment.. However I would never say the setter is anything like the poos though , he is all setter.....Amost all my spoo are very prey diriven and I am sure that this is due to where they grow up , we are in the wilderness..

#11 ·
I have read on more than one occasion that a poodle's personality is related to it's color, such as brown=clown, silver=aloof etc. and I was wondering if it has any truth to it. Do colors affect personality, is it because certain lines tend to produce certain colors, or is there no truth to that at all? How would a parti or phantom spoo be affected since they are multi colored?

What color are your poodles and how would you describe their personality? My boys are both silver and are very laid back. Nothing seem to bother them.
I don’t believe silver are so aloof as creams…who know they are the cream! My silvers were also laid back, and tried hard to please me whenever they weren’t busy with ANYthing more important. Down to scoring a moldy crust in a hedge somewhere, when it would be good luck calling the male till he was ready…otherwise very pleasant and faithfully obedient…

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.