Poodle Forum banner

What's the history of red poodles?

5K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Cdnjennga 
#1 · (Edited)
There's been some heated debate on this forum, recently and in the past, about the various breeders of red poodles. Is this colouration a more recent variation in poodles? Is it like parti poodles, where it was not accepted by the mainstream poodle breeders in the past but is now coming more to the forefront? I'm just generally interested and have tried to do some searching but have come up short on the history of reds.

I was also wondering why red poodles don't tend to do as well in the AKC confirmation ring (and I'm assuming CKC ring as well?) I know from PWDs that there are certain known things that do and don't do well in the confirmation ring, often for no real reason, but wondered why this colour specifically does poorly...

#4 ·
Thanks Heather! Very interesting... I googled the kennels mentioned in that link, and actually ended up back here at Poodle Forum. Apparently there has been a very long conversation about this earlier in the year, it's good reading!

http://www.poodleforum.com/showthread.php?t=875&page=14

So I guess the fact that apricot/ red standard poodles are a fairly recent thing explains why they are less accepted in CKC/ AKC. And the fact that for some time they (like parti poodles) were bred at high volume by byb and puppy mills.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.