Poodle Forum banner

Fabulous clipper/blade sale at Petedge

6K views 32 replies 11 participants last post by  ArreauStandardPoodle 
#1 ·
If anyone out there needs clippers or blades, now is the time! Petedge.com has Oster one speed A5 clippers for $104, and these come with a free #10 blade. I have never seen them this cheap! And they have a 2 for 1 sale on Oster Elite Cryogen blades. I got 2 #30's and 2 #40's for $42!!

#6 ·
Thats generally the case but everyone has their own preferences and needs. A two-speed will give you more power at the higher speed, but it also heats up faster, and you may not need that much power anyway. I would guess that pro groomers who do big dogs and sometimes very matted dogs need more power than a pet owner who's just clipping a well-kept coat.

#5 ·
Also at PetEdge, they have a deal on shipping right now (ends today, Jan 18th): Free shipping on orders over $200 (use coupon code FSBF), $5.99 shipping on orders over $150 (no coupon code needed).

I wanted a grooming table a week ago, but balked because the shipping was over $50. So I checked the fine print on this offer, and of course it says it excludes grooming tables, plastic dog crates, and other large items. Well I decided to bite the bullet and order the grooming table anyway, and the shipping discount applied! I would guess someone at PetEdge made a mistake, but I'll take it. It even said on my order, "shipping discount $44". So if you want a grooming table, see if they are still shipping them for $5.99.

#8 ·
I do not like the 2 speeds because they heat up to fast on high. Truth be told, I am not entirely nuts about Oster clippers anymore. But, I have six or seven sets and they are like workhorses, though they heat up and are heavy. Hey...a good intro set for $100 and if/when people opt for a different make, Oster blades are inter-changable with a lot of the other brands of clippers.

#10 ·
Clippers for a 17 y. o. three pound toy

I've decided to try to clean up my precious senior between groomings. She is used to grooming as she was used in grooming competitions when she was younger. But she now has terrible arthritis. She just started acupuncture.
I have no idea what clipper to use for her face and feet or what blade size. I was on the petedge website and became completely overwhelmed. Confused between blades and snap on combs and Oster vs Andis. I really need some guidance. I also have three other toys, so if I could use the clippers on them that would be a bonus. I have an old super duck dryer that I've been using with all of them.
I need your expertise before I do anything.
Thanks in advance!!!!
C. L. A. D. 's mom

#11 ·
I've decided to try to clean up my precious senior between groomings. She is used to grooming as she was used in grooming competitions when she was younger. But she now has terrible arthritis. She just started acupuncture.
I have no idea what clipper to use for her face and feet or what blade size. I was on the petedge website and became completely overwhelmed. Confused between blades and snap on combs and Oster vs Andis. I really need some guidance. I also have three other toys, so if I could use the clippers on them that would be a bonus. I have an old super duck dryer that I've been using with all of them.
I need your expertise before I do anything.
Thanks in advance!!!!
C. L. A. D. 's mom
Lots of us love our Wahl Bravura clipper. (Or the less powerful version, the Arco SE.) You only have to buy one blade, as its adjustable from a 9 to a 40 blade. But for tpoos, you may need some type of trimmer or extra small clipper for doing poodle feet. Im not a pro groomer, maybe one of them can chime in.

For snap-on combs, everyone seems to agree that metal ones work much better than plastic ones.

#15 · (Edited)
Im not a pro groomer, but my understanding is that cage drying doesnt work for poodles because the hair will dry curly. You need to brush/style it while you dry it so it will be as straight as possible. Basically you want the hair straight and sticking straight out from the dog, not laying down, as if he put his paw in a light socket. By having the hair sticking straight out like that, you can scissor/clip all the hairs in a given area to the same length, which reduces matting and gives that "plush" look. If the hairs are curly, there is no way to do a proper groom, as all the hairs will be cut to different lengths.

I take it you are looking to get into grooming your dogs and are a beginner? My advice would be to put the biggest focus on getting an excellent dryer, followed by the clippers, followed by the shears. Think how much you'll appreciate having a dog dry in one hour instead of two!

#17 ·
Well I just did a ton of dyer research, but ended up getting a dryer beyond the price range you mentioned. (I got the Chris Christensen Kool Dry - $375).

I liked the specs on the "B-Air Bear Power Dryer II. Its $189 at PetEdge. But when I read reviews I noticed a lot of people reported them dying early deaths.

Air Force makes a dryer in your price range that should have power comparable to what I got (4 horsepower motor) and is variable speed too. The difference would be that the Air Force dryers are LOUD.

Metro Air Force Commander Vari-Speed Dryers | PetEdge.com

Welcome to Mutt Muffs!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.