Poodle Forum banner

New here- trying to help save a Labradoodle

3K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  lily cd re 
#1 ·
Hello,

Hey guys, I know this is a Poodle forum, but I was referred here from a member of a chinese crested forum that I frequent, and kind of just wanted to share this with anyone who might have some advice . . .

I currently work at a vet clinic where the vets breed doodles as a hobby. The dogs they own seem to spend most of their lives kenneled, and are very often smelly, dirty, and extremely matted. I don't know much about their personal facility, but they often board about 10 dogs at a time in the clinic (for breeding, or they don't have space at home). From my guess of the amounts of their dogs that come in and out of the clinic, they likely own at least 30 dogs.

Now don't get me wrong, nothing "illegal" is going on. The dogs all have fresh food and water at all times, and are let outside in a run for a few minutes 3 times a day. However, unless I am working that day, they get no socialization, and are filthy matted messes (I alone have been working with the dogs as much as I am able- bathing, grooming, etc., but no one else will because they are "too busy" or because the dogs are "gross", or they are "idiots") I hate it- I feel like they clinic is hardly more than a step or two above a puppy mill- but if I quit, the dogs would be in worse condition, because I am the only one that works with them other than just providing food and water.

Anyways, to the point of this post, there is one dog named "Princess", who the vets are "trying" to rehome, because she has a cataract and is a neurotic pacer (walks around in circles whenever stimulated) probably from living in a kennel her whole life. By trying- I mean they haven't done anything except leave her in boarding to stagnate. I feel so bad for this dog. She is so sweet and loveable- the potential to be a really great companion- but she needs some work. I've been taking her home with me for the last few nights (as well as keeping her clean and fluffy and brushed out for the first time in her life) to work with her on potty training and house manners so that maybe she can possibly get a HOME instead of staying kenneled for years and years.

Anyways, long story short, I'm looking for any advice on what to do, and how to work with this dog to help get her placed in a loving home. She is a tad bit shy of men (not fearful, just cautious), is good with other dogs and cats, is very gentle, just not potty trained and is an obsessive pacer + very nervous because she hasn't been in a house since she was a puppy. Don't know her exact age, but probably somewhere around 3 or 4. Anyways, any advice would be very much appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
I can't really advise, but thank you for doing what you can to help these poor dogs (and I have to say that your employers sound very sorry excuses for vets). I am sure members with more experience will be along to help, but meanwhile have you tried breed rescues (labradoodle, poodle and labrador), and have you seen Patricia McConnell's booklet (Love has no age limit" on rehoming adult dogs (available on Amazon, or as an eBook here: Patricia McConnell | Dog Training eBook | Love Has No Age Limit: Welcoming an Adopted Dog into Your Home )

Good luck - I hope you succeed in bringing some happinness into this poor girl's life.

#3 ·
Ok, so you say: I currently work at a vet clinic where the vets breed doodles as a hobby.

I think everyone here agrees that humane treatment of all animals is very important. I really have issues with the ethics of someone who is a vet breeding the mixed breeds a hobby -- just me.

I do hope you can get some good training/behavioral advice though for the sake of the pup.

#4 ·
I say contact a rescue group - anonymously if you are concerned about your job - and hopefully the entire kennel of dogs will be rescued.

#5 ·
I would consider taking this to a local news reporter. Shame them into doing better. It would cost you your job, but it may make the biggest differance in all the dogs lives. So sorry, and thanks for all that you are doing. Could you adopt this dog yourself? Sometimes the person you are looking for is you!

#8 ·
What a horriable situation to be in (for you and the dogs). I assume that you are allowed to bring her home?

I would start by doing just that, giving her the opportunity to adjust to a home. I would keep her on a leash near you in the house and just have her hang out during your evening routine. You can try doing the same when your duties at the clinic allow (ie having her out of the kennel and tied to you). Work on some basic obediance using a clicker and some treats to sort of re-awaken her interest in "learning". I would find some of the clicker training videos on youtube geared towwards puppies and start at the very beginning. You can expant the click and treat to greeting new people/men as well. Bascially, I would just start as though she was a brand new puppy. She will likely make much quicker progress then a puppy due as he brain and body are fully developed, she just needs to be taught.

I would avoid taking her out in public for a few weeks and work on the basics at home, and then see about getting her into a introductory obediance class. You may also be able to find a local rescue that is willing to help you (they usually have good training resources and access to potential homes), assuming you are willing to do the leg work and provide the intual funding. I would also use this opportunity to express the the vet that if he/she is ready to retire her then you will take her on and find her a pet home, but that she needs to by spayed and up to date on her vaccines before you can really start working with her. Vet work is really a big cost in rehabbing a dog, so it would be great to get their cooperation on this, but you may need to address it on the front end so they don't just use you for free labor.

#9 ·
If I knew that my vet was into breeding for profit of any breed let alone Doodles , she/he would no longer be my vet. If this is a concealed Puppy Mill and it sounds like it is, try and get some footage of the operation. I think your local news would be interested in the story. It would hurt the vets bottom line and maybe change something. I would also check into rescue groups and see if someone can help you. I hate stories like this, it makes me sick. I just have no understanding of it...

#10 ·
I thnk it is a very big ask to expect someone to put their job on the line in the current economic climate - especially as, if no laws are being broken, it is unlikely to do the dogs any good, will deprive them of their comforter and champion, and probably leave the OP blacklisted from similar employment in the local area.

If any PF members happened to know of the vet in question and their breeding practices. and were able to involve Poodle rescues and animal welfare without involving the OP, it would of course be a whole different ballgame...

#13 ·
Me too, but the OP is between a rock and a hard place, and trying to do the best thing in a difficult situation. If they can get it right this time, they may help the dog to a happy home, and keep their employers' confidence so that they can improve life for the other dogs as well. Got to be worth our best endeavours!

Reactions: Carley's Mom
#14 ·
I agree- they should know better, shouldn't be allowed to own animals, and I also disprove of the breeding of multi-thousand dollar mixes. I love Spoos, and when I can afford another dog, a Spoo is what I want.

The Dr.s seem like compassionate vets on the outside, but are in complete denial about their own animals- or just don't care. One of their Spoos- an absolute love, btw, has eye drainage problems, and seems to me to be very underweight (not that I am a vet or anything). I am the only one who ever cleans his eyes (they get crusted shut with gunk), and when I talked to the Dr. about how skinny he is, his response was- well he's just a picky poodle. Blugh. I will never again trust a vet I don't think, because you never know what goes on behind the scenes.

I looked up state laws, and there is nothing to report . . . the kennels conditions exceed the minimum requirements (even though they are in imo inhumane) and their dogs are kept up to date on vaccinations/heartworm treatment, etc (not regular health check ups though).

the Dr.s profit more from sale of their multi-thousand dollar puppies, than from the clinic itself. As soon as puppies are born they are removed from the clinic. The pictures posted on the website and the descriptions of the breeding animals are very inaccurate- In many instances only old pictures where the dog was freshly groomed are used on their website, along with untruthful descriptions such as " _____ loves being a in the house and thinks he is everyone's friend" when in reality, the dog hadn't been groomed/bathed in months, smelled like concentrated urine, and was being kept kennelled (till I arrived and groomed him of course . . . I've only been working at the place for about 3 months and will likely be gone by May . . .

This just goes to show that one can NEVER be too careful when selecting a breeder and should ALWAYS insist on touring the breeder's facility and be shown the parents of puppies.

I also live in a very rural area, and I doubt that even if reported to news people, etc. that any fuss would be raised . . . it seems like everyone is a backyard breeder or a kennel around here . . . doesn't make it any less disgusting, but it seems almost accepted around here I guess, which makes it difficult to change anything.

I have had "Princess" home with me for an entire week now. We are making a bit of progress on crate and potty training, and her pacing has been getting much much better. Generally she will pace a bit when I am up and moving around, but will settle very quickly and lay at my feet once I am sitting on the couch. She doesn't ever try to get up on the furniture, and when I pulled out a doggy bed onto the floor, she didn't even know what to do with it and wouldn't go near it. She has also made progress with learning "sit", and I was overjoyed yesterday when she FINALLY began to try to play ball with me, and flopped on her back for belly rubs for the first time.

I don't know if this is allowed on this forum- because I am new here- but feel free to PM me if anyone wants more info about Princess.

#17 ·
This sounds like a very hard situation for the OP, but also really damaging for all of the dogs in this "not quite a puppy mill?" breeding program. Is there anyone here who might be able to figure out where these dogs are who could tip off a rescue group without involving the OP?

And anyone other than PETA please. I am not sure how useful publicity would be here.

OP, are these golden doodles or labradoodles or something else? Is there any awareness in local folks from poodle clubs or the other parent breed? Is there way you can give a hint to help make something happen without putting your job on the line?

#18 ·
I genuinely appreciate the concern and desire to help these dogs- I promise you, no one wants to help them more than I do- but please don't get ahead of yourselves. I have intentionally not provided specific information or names because I am not yet in a position that I would want anyone at work discovering this thread, nor anyone to attempt to contact my workplace at this time (not entirely sure if they could sue me for even posting this?). At a future time (hopefully in the next few months) I plan on relocating or hope to find full time work elsewhere. At that time I will be more willing to take more direct action towards the facility in order to hopefully improve conditions for the animals (in as professional a manner as possible). I am unfortunately not in any sort of financial position to risk my (completely unsatisfying and depressing) part-time job at this time. Once again, I genuinely appreciate the support, and will do my best in whatever ways I am able to help these dogs, and will keep updating.

On a lighter note- today was a TOUGH day for potty training princess. Apparently she REFUSES to go pee in the rain- and it has been raining constantly since I woke up. Had to walk the girl about 20-30 times today, crating in between, before she FINALLY agreed to pee outside and not on the carpet. She must have been holding about a gallon of pee in her by the end of the day, poor stubborn thing.

#19 ·
We absolutely respect and understand what a hard position you are in. I hope that you will be able to get to a point where some of the various options that were floated out here might be able to help you help these dogs. If and when you do, you know we will help any way we can. In the meantime we are all rooting for you to be able to make a difference for them and for yourself.

#21 ·
Any profession can have bad eggs (doctors who are molesters), although I agree this sounds pretty revolting. The important thing is to be patient and try to support the OP in her efforts and within the constraints of her situation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.