He did not know any better. It was only 1 grape but, he is only 14 lbs. So I checked with the emergency vet and she said that it should not be a problem but if I should have him throw up just to be safe. She recommended 3 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide less than 6 months old given with a turkey baster.
Of course our hydrogen peroxide is older than that and we do not have an turkey baster. So I run to Walgreen's for these items. Of course they do not have a turkey baster so, I get a pediatric syringe that holds 2 teaspoons.
I get home and load up the syringe and convert teaspoons to tablespoons and 3 tablespoon equals 6 teaspoons so I have to use the syringe 3 times on Max. You can imagine how well that went!
I get enough into him so that he disgorges the grape and he seems to be OK. This was probably not a big deal but, it was a little wake-up call to get the necessary first aid items in the house in advance of an emergency the could have been more serious.
The Following User Says Thank You to Specman For This Useful Post:
Before I knew they were potentially toxic to dogs, I fed Beau grapes on several occasions. Never had a problem, thank God. I'm sure Max will be okay, too. Now I have the useful Pet Poison app on my iPhone, which can really make you paranoid. So many common items are canine poison!
Glad things turned out okay. You did everything right! My vet once told me you can administer three percent hydrogen peroxide, dosed at one teaspoon (five milliliters, or cc's) for every 10 pounds of body weight, hidden in a small amount of ice cream or a little bit of honey. If you don't have a turkey baster or syringe on hand, or are having difficulty getting your dog to take it using one, that should do the trick.
CABRYN CHAGALL CGC "Remember," said the Poodle, "there is always
a reason to smile. Today and every day!"
The Following User Says Thank You to Chagall's mom For This Useful Post: