My poodle hasn't had a bath in weeks, because she had knee surgery. I decided to give her a bath today. I dried her and brushed out her hair. I found one or two tiny mats and got them out easily. My comb then finally hit what appeared to be slightly bigger mat. I pulled on it a little to try and work it out, but found that there was now a bare patch of skin. Now I'm cussing up a storm, because I think I ripped her hair out, but this may not be the case.
I notice that the bare skin is raised up and feels sort of like a cyst under the skin. I really hope it isn't, because my poodle is only 6 months old and has already gone through knee surgery, spay, and repair of an umbilical hernia she got when she was born. I cut the matted part out to get it out of the way.
I figure it could be one of a few things, but if you think it's something else let me know. I think it could be.....
- A cyst. She might have been nipping at the cyst and caused a mat to form there.
- It is just a mat. The mat may have caused irritation of the skin under it, leading to inflamation in the form of a lump.
- Maybe it's some kind of parasite. Flea, tick, skinworm (I dunno), whatever.
- Some kind of disease or skin condition.
- Stress? Nipping in same spot constanty when left alone in home?
Do you think it is worth waiting a few days and monitoring if the bump goes away? Is it serious enough for an immediate vet visit or can it wait?
You cant see it normally, but if you spread the hair apart this is what can now be seen with the hair/mat gone. Here are some pics:
Please help my sweet little girl with your input!