Poodle Forum banner

Which raw meaty bones safe for a toy puppy

4K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  JMFutures 
#1 ·
My little guy is currently 13 weeks old, and i just started him on instinct. Was thinking of doing rotation feeding with raw (a.m) and kibble (p.m). I currently have the instinct raw chicken medallions and a free sample of the chicken instinct kibble. Would like to introduce some raw meaty bones 2-3 times a week. I am very new to this whole concept - but I love it and will continue to do my research. But in the mean time what can I look for that will be safe for a 3lb toy puppy? Tips? When to introduce? When to take away? Do I just get it with minimal meat on it if i am not doing meals with them - i guess that's just what a gal told me at the natural pet center - "when you get it you should see mainly bone and the dog will scrap off whats left?" Just trying to figure out what to ask for when I start calling around. Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
hiya. my toy is thirteen weeks today, and she's been having chicken wings since she was seven weeks old. i will let her have a chew on pig trotters and lamb necks after my next vist to the butchers. she is currantly on biscuits (kibble) for her breakfast with mainly raw minces for her other meals but will be swapping her over to a full raw diet over the next couple of weeks :)

#4 ·
I have a toy also. I started him at about the same age, he might have been a little older. I feed him a chicken neck along with his commercial raw (aunt Jenni). If his poop gets too firm I feed him a chicken heart or gizzard. You can get the necks at the grocery store as well as packages of mixed chicken hearts and gizzards. I find the chicken neck to be the perfect size for my toy. He loves them and his teeth look they should star in a doggie toothpaste ad. Some will tell you to feed all raw or all kibble. I did both for a few days and then switched to raw as Swizzle wasnot interested in kibble anymore. He is funny. He turns up his nose at commercial dog treats and will only eat ones I make. The only exception is dried liver bits which he loves.

#5 ·
Ooooh my gooooodness!! Gibby had his first RMB tonight (full chicken wing)! He was in heaven! And I just loved listening to him crunch in delight!! :love2:

Question though: my hubs was freaking out about how messy he was - and indeed he was - it was quite funny actually. all paws were a little reddened as well as his hair around his mouth. How do we ensure that he is cleaned well enough to be around us afterwards without contaminating everything? What do you do?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.