Poodle Forum banner

Hello - How to decide?

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Pucks104 
#1 ·
Hi all. My DH and I live with 4 mixed breed dogs - 2 elderly (14.5 (19lbs) and 15 years(27lbs)) and 2 younger (4 yrs (70lbs)and 2.5 yrs (45lbs)). Once the older ones pass on, I would like to add a small ( under 20 lbs), portable, low shedding dog to our family that can sometimes accompany me to work and can easily travel with us. I would also like to get involved in therapy dog work. I am considering either a toy or mini poodle as our next dog. How did those of you that have toys or minis decide between the two? Any insights into which one might best fit our family situation would be appreciated.

DH and I are the only humans in our home. Our children are grown - no grandchildren as yet. DH works nights and I work days, so there is a person home most of the time.

#2 ·
:welcome:How nice that you're contemplating adding a poodle to your life, whichever variety you choose I think you'll be delighted. We have an over-sized mpoo, 17.5" and about 22 lbs. We selected a mpoo primarily because I really liked the line he came from, and because most of our friends have medium to large sized dogs and we wanted ours to be able to interact safely with them. I know people with toy poodles and Great Danes and GSD and they manage fine, but as I said I was really drawn to my mpoo's line because of the great temperaments. My guy is very athletic, able to hike for miles, but also a very good couch potato indoors. I am very fond of the minis, but I would welcome any variety of poodle that showed up on my doorstep. I look forward to one day helping you welcome a poodle into your pack!

#3 ·
Welcome to the forum, Pucks104! How do you and your DH usually travel? My husband and I have a mini poodle, who fits handily on a lap in the back seat and whose crate fits in most places we go. However, if we were going to take a dog along when we flew, a toy would be better because it would fit beneath the seat.

Another consideration is whether you *might* have grandchildren in the next few years. In that case, a slightly larger, sturdier dog would be ideal. Moreover, you said you have several other dogs. Someone with a toy poodle will hopefully chime in, but I would be worried about injury, especially if you are going to get a puppy. Laszlo, our mini, is only about 14 or 15 pounds, but one of his best doggy friends is Eva, a two year old Rottweiler bitch who lives up the block. She is at least 75 pounds. They run around, romp, play and wrestle. Eva's owner was worried at first that she would hurt Laszlo, but we could assure him that our mini poodle was small but tough. I'm not sure we could have made the same assurances if Laszlo were a dog of 8 or 9 pounds. So that's something to think about too. Again, welcome to the forum, and let us know which way you go!

#4 ·
My Molly is Miniature sized & she's perfect! Just small enough to pick up & cuddle, but sturdy enough to rough house with my G-Kids & a Golden, & a Lab!

#5 ·
Hi, and welcome. Growing up in Oklahoma, I was given a toy poodle for my 17 th birthday,fell in love, when he was handed to me,never looked back. Now, my Abbe, Candy, Kayla,& MeMa, were what was at Adams Co. Animal Shelter, little poodles, & poodle mixes, My (penny) is a little minpin.Thats the little girls that live with me.There small, not tiny,just right for playing, running, inside the house.

#6 ·
I am new to poodles, actually dogs. My two guys, both toys, came home Wednesday morning. So I am not much help but wanted to welcome you. Welcome! I will say that I really like my toys because I can see that I will easily be able to carry them around in a soft sided carrier (like a big purse). I have talked to some of the local shops and stores and most said they would have no issues with us carrying them in carriers in their stores. Plus travel will be pretty easy. Good luck in your decision. Please update us.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.