Poodle Forum banner

Look who I met at Poodle Rescue

9K views 64 replies 41 participants last post by  schpeckie 
#1 ·
I dropped Beau off for his groom this morning, and Madeline asked, "Did you see his twin out there?" (The smaller rescue dogs are in a big enclosed area with a sliding glass door.) So one my way out, with Beau's piteous cries ringing in my ears (he's such a drama queen), I stopped to meet Louie. OMG, what a sweetie! Came right up to me, practically crawled in my lap, licked my nose, curled against my leg for pets, the whole nine yards! I want him sooo bad. He does look a lot like Beau, and at 6 months is the same age Beau was when we got him. Did I mention I want him?

"LOUIE is a 6 month old, purebred, AKC Miniature Poodle male.* He is housebroken and loves all people and other dogs.* He does not care for cats.* He would be great with children.* His owner had a job transfer where she could not take Louie.* He is a wonderful dog."

See less See more
#29 ·
Could you offer to foster him over Christmas? That way you have made no long term promises, and would have an opportunity to see how it all worked out. But I have a feeling a mini pup as perfect as this will not be waiting long ... you may need to decide quickly!

#30 ·
Most dogs would need a company of other dogs – not all | Chic Choix
I find this article very interesting,maybe will help you :)
I have two poodles,female was 15 months old when our boy came in the house.The main raison was that she is really friendly and playfull so I decided to bring her company-it was good decision.Your "new " boy is still puppy so I think all will be great!!!
This is photo of first day

Attachments

#32 ·
We've had 2 dogs at a time and 1 dog at a time and I like have 2 better. The only parts that I think are more difficult are extra costs of food, grooming and kenneling. We've always had bigger dogs so it isn't as easy to go visiting but not impossible and if we can't take them with us, they have each other wherever they are. The 2 we have now aren't even best friends but they sure do miss each other if separated.

#35 ·
I thought of you today, when after 20 minutes waiting patiently in one bank while we sorted out a complex issue for my neighbour, my dogs found themselves waiting even longer while my own bank muddled up a fairly simple request. They were very quiet, and not pulling on the leash, but I was aware of subdued squeaking - I looked down and they were playing a wonderful game of mouth wresting at my feet, happily entertaining each other while the humans got on with whatever boring stuff it was that kept them busy ... sometimes two really are easier than one!

#36 ·
My Gibbs is also shy/afraid of other dogs as he has been attacked twice by dogs of irresponsible pet owners. I really wanted a companion for him. So, we got a pup. I was super nervous so I had my 18 year old daughter who is absolutely amazing with animals intoduce them (I didn't want my nerves to affect Gibbs) and now, 2 1/2 months later, Gibbs is the best big brother ever. I am so amazed at him (I know I shouldn't be, after all he is a poodle), he is extremely patient and I pretty much didn't even have to potty train the puppy, Gibbs did it for us (the puppy follows him and does everything he does). Whenever the puppy picks something up she is not suppose to, like a shoe, Gibbs snatches it from her and brings it to me. He knows what is allowed and what is not! Anyways, it could work and I defeinately think two is better than one! Good Luck.

#37 ·
I was also going to say that poodles seem to know their own breed somehow (my pom was the sam way with other poms too). Lily likes other dogs but seems to be more connected when she meets other poodles and poodle mixes. I think a "trial run" /foster home is a great idea. No pressure and see how things go. Let us know... :)

#38 ·
So we continue to mull over this big decision. I know I have to move fast, because pure-bred poodles like Louie get snapped up quick. I just spoke with Madeline, and she tells me he's chipped, neutered, and ready to go. She even has his AKC papers. She suggests I bring Beau over, and we let them have a chance to play together for an hour in a separate run. Then, if they get along, they ride home and enter the house together so Louie doesn't just "invade" Beau's turf. Only thing is, Beau get very anxious as we approach her house -- he recognizes where we are going pretty quickly. So I wonder if he will be himself, or too stressed to even pay attention to Louie. Guess there's only one way to find out.

Poodles must generate some sort of reality distortion field, cause I can't believe I'm seriously considering this.

#41 ·
Good luck, Leumann. Don't be surprised if Beau puts Louie in his place at first. I wish they could meet both away from your house and away from the groomers for Beau's comfort, but at least they will meet!

Your daughter being away at college may be why the house feels like it has some room for two now.

You don't have to do it, but he is awfully cute. It's hard to turn down a well adjusted, pretty poodle who is so young! Good luck with whatever you decide to do. :)

#42 ·
Well, one thing is for sure, if you are internally stressed and anxious, Beau will feel it and be that way too, so best you just act like it's no big deal, and you are just running errands and then just sort of, "Beau, look what we have here?" Wanna play? The only reason I say this is because I am usually the guilty party in projecting something to my poodle ---- first Jake and now Sunny. I really have to neutralize myself and it works out much better. He will tell you if it's ok or not.

#44 ·
In my very limited experience, the first meeting is not necessarily an indicator of how the two dogs will do together in the long run. When I got Bob (he was 4 1/2 at the time), I did a trial run for one day. Bob peed in the house, pooped in the house, stole butter from the counter and Sophie (my other spoo) didn't like him one bit. So I told his owner that I was not interested. His owner (a salesman, by the way), smiled and said "OK, how about if we try it again tomorrow?" Not sure why I agreed to that, but I did. The next day, Sophie was delighted to see Bob and the rest is history.

After Sophie died, I got my first puppy, Cammie. Bob refused to acknowledge her presence in the house for 3 days. But she used her considerable charms to win him over, and now they are best of friends.

Anyway, my advice for what it is worth is to do a trial for a week or two. Or take Louie and keep it in the back of your mind that if it doesn't work out, you have a very adoptable dog on your hands and I'm sure that a good home could be found for him.

IMO, it is best to let the 2 dogs work out their relationship with minimal human interferance.

Go for it! We are all rooting for you! And for Louie!

#45 ·
I was warned that Stella could be a problem ... I was told to be careful ! I had the two dogs meet on a walk that neither dog had been before. Stella did go insane, but I made her walk pass Carley. My mom had Carley. We walked the two together, but did not let them smell ect. After a bit they were much more interested in the area than each other, so we got closer. Both dogs were with me by the time we got back to the car. I did have my mom drive Carley home and they were fine with each other when we got home. Carley is a very calm dog and I think that helps. You need to stay calm as well. Both my dogs were adults. I think a puppy will be a breeze. Good Luck! So happy for everyone!

#47 ·
Update: Beau is at Madeline's meeting Louie! Initial meeting in a bedroom-sized space wasn't real encouraging, as Beau kept backing up and hiding behind me every time Louie approached. There was some growling and lip curling. They are together now in a large space, with sliding glass doors on two sides. My daughter and I had to leave after a few minutes, and let Beau see us walk out the door. Otherwise, all he was going to do is cry at the door and ignore Louie. Madeline is monitoring them. We're going back in an hour. I will report the results when we get back.

#48 ·
Ok, meet and greet accomplished. I'm told Louie tried and tried to initiate play, but was ignored. He finally gave up and curled up in his bed. Beau stood at the door the whole time waiting for me to come and rescue him from what I have to assume is his idea of a house of horrors. Sigh.

It's good that no blood was spilled, but I just don't know what to do at this point. My feeling is that Beau would tolerate Louie, at best. Maybe that would be good enough, but life is complicated enough around here with one (high maintenance) poodle to wait on. Louie is a total lovey, and there are already people in line to adopt him if we pass. As romantic and tempting as it would be to just snatch him up, adding another dog to our family would be a stretch both financially and emotionally. It might be best to just concentrate our efforts on the sweet boy we already have -- Lord knows he could always use more training and exercise.

We're going to talk it over as a family tonight, then sleep on it. I told Madeline we'll let her know our decision tomorrow. Either way, 1,000,000 thanks to all of you who weighed in; Poodle folks are the best!

For his part, Beau is very, very glad to be home after a stressful afternoon:

#49 ·
Glad you gave it a shot. I go back and forth about a "friend" for Sunny and am daily on the poodle rescue/adoptions in my local area. I keep thinking it would be good for him. Denise told me if I do that to be sure and let Sunny decide -- give it a trial run, etc. As wonderful as it sounds, sometimes I think he has gotten used to being a solo guy after sharing for 3 years! His breeder did offer to fly down and bring a retired CH mini female (6 years old) if I really wanted to do 2, as she knows they'd be fine together and she is a bit more independent, too. Honestly, if I left Sunny like you did Beau and there was another dog, he would not play at all (I guarantee it) and would be more concerned about where I went....was I coming back.... etc. I totally understand.

#50 ·
Any chance that Madeleine (or someone) could bring Louie to your house for a visit tomorrow? As I mentioned above, neither of my dogs reacted well on first meeting to the new dog that I brought into the house. But both adjusted well and enjoyed the companionship in the long run. Could you foster Louie for a day or two? Or even for a couple of hours?

All the best to you, whatever you decide to do.

#51 ·
Well, if your not 100 % sure, then I say pass. Beau will pick up on the fact that your not sold on this, and he wont be eather.And for my 2 cents, your thinking about this way too much, that makes it not a good thing. When its right, its right, and you just know, and you dont have to put this much thought in to it. I , hope that i have not up set you, just trying to help you, and the 2, boys. Its just better if ALL 3 of you are happy.

#52 ·
I agree with peppersb. Try to get them together again in different setting. I have done the meet and greet 4 times and not one of them went smoothly without some upset and ruffled feathers. Dogs will establish their own pecking order and interaction if left to their own devices. Some take longer than others but all of mine have ended up loving each other and getting along.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

#53 ·
I completely understand your thinking at this point LEUllman. Just know what you have here is a win-win situation; Beau is happy at home with his all human pack, and irresistible Louie will be in someone's heart and home before you can say supercalifragilisticexpialidocious. I commend you for giving the decisions so much thought. It's not easy to say "no" to puppy love, but it can be a good decision all the same. Please go to bed and rise early so you tell us your family's final decision after you've slept on it!!:sleep:

#54 ·
LEUllman......I have five poos (2 standards and three toys), the last two I got are the standards and when Jordan arrived Baby Lu was between 4 and 5. Lu HATED Jordan (5 month old puppy), I can remember saying "what did I do...she is so unhappy and I ruined her life". After about three weeks Lulu showed her a little attention, playing quite infrequently.....I was so upset that I did this to her (although Jordan was bought as a playmate for her). After about two months they became inseparable, partners in crime if you will, they do everything together.........and are the best of friends. They were out walking this summer (leashed), there was a pitbull attack, Lu fought back....she protected her sister and best friend. In the attached photo, Jordan is 11 months, by then they were already BFF's.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.