Poodle Forum banner

Hello

2K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  lily cd re 
#1 ·
Hi , I'm new here , Obviously I don't really know what to say here ...
I come from Canada Ontario
Iv'e been searching these forums here for a few months and i finally registered.I own a dog ... My first dog ( my parents had previous dogs ) but we sorta dove head first in this dog ownership thing .. Anyways Her name is Jenna She is A Standard poodle x Wheaten sadly but where looking into buying a new poodle and this site is so helpful and answers all my questions

We got Jenna at our local SPCA they just recently got a bunch of poodles from a puppy mill and we went to go check them out my mother had another dog in mind her name was lucy she was rambunctious and allover the place and limped a bit so i went to go check out the other dogs and this little black one sitting alone intrigued me so i asked for her and i can say , it was love at first sight wonder if i have any pictures ... I'll have to get back to that

I love dogs and more specifically poodles , i also have real bad asthma so having a poodle is great and i couldn't ask for a better dog every time we meet some one they always say the same things " Oh poodles are a rich man dog soo snobby " " there such froo froo dogs i would never own one " but after they meet my Jenna that changes pretty quickly :rolffleyes:

I Groom my dog by myself i pretty much only do a sporting / kennel clip i try to keep her short for the summer my mom isn't too keen on the poodle clips I'm surprised she let me do a sporting clip , during the summer she's normally shaved super close all over though its easier to maintain because after a day of swimming drying gets pretty difficult

Oh and how could i forget , i also have another dog well we co-own her she's also a poodle mix its my neighbors dog during ( we go luxury camping with them ) during the summer i see her every day and night and baby sit here and there you could say i train her but our training sessions pretty much just turn into playing sessions xD

Well that's pretty much about me ... hope i don't get shunned for owning a mix :eek:hwell: Why are there so many smiles Lol ( Sorry in advance for any spelling mistakes i also speak french and my english isn't the best )

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome ! Thanks for adopting a dog in need. She sounds great! I owned a cockapoo when I was a kid, nothing wrong with a great mix! I saw a Wheaten/Poodle once at the vet's office. It looked more like a poodle, beautiful dog, the owner had it really short, she complained she could not do anything with her coat. But she was so pretty and sweet. I loved her.

#4 ·
Nothing in the world wrong with rescuing a pup through the SPCA! I've got several of my pets from them over my lifetime, including a Himalayan cat that the vet said might die because she was a tiny ball of fluff with a serious upper respiratory infection. But nope, she didn't die, still going strong years later. Anyway just wondering, does Jenna bump things (like other pets) with her hips? My dogs were wrestling with these two Wheatens at the dog park, and it was so cute! The Wheatens kept bumping our dogs with their hips, like they were playing hockey :) Good to have you on the forum!

#5 ·
Thank you Guys ! i was just worried cause she isn't a purebred and etc and iv'e read some negative stuff on the forum about whoodles and mixes. And Jenna does looks like a poodle her legs are a bit shorter i find but her coat is nice and curly not wavy like most of the other whoodles iv'e seen

I'll try to post some pictures , the pictures i meant to post didn't show up , I'll try to figure that one out

@ Indiana
She does the exact thing its so funny, when she plays with my neighbors dog she bumps her away to give herself time to run away quite the show:lol: so far there hasn't been any health problems except she has leaky eyes and itchy skin and ears but nothing major ( knock on wood ) So far she's pretty good in the health department

#9 ·
Don't get us wrong! We LOVE mixes too. In fact, all dogs I've owned growing up were rescued Hinz 57s, hehe. My spoo is the first dog I ever got from a breeder.

A lot of us who make comments about mixes aren't really complaining about the dogs themselves, but the people who are breeding those mixes and then calling them a fancy name and sticking a hefty price tag on them. And then it can be offensive when you do all this extensive research and pay a pretty penny to a reputable and responsible breeder for your purebred dog only for everyone ask you if your dog is a labradoodle! Haha.

#12 ·
New too

Hi Iam new on here though have looked at the site many times before and after I got my lovely Jorgie in May this year.Jorgie was supposed to be a Toy but her mum s a minature and shes already 14inches at 8months Iam shes not any smaller there are loads of energetic staffies here and she would be completely bowled over if she was smaller.I had a poodle when I was a little girl Shandy who I loved more than words could say I still miss him ver much although he has een gone over 25 years.It has taken me that long to let another poodle into my heart again and Iam so glad I have.Jorgie is funny and smart and loves everyone she has been a good tonic for me during what has been a very difficult year.

#13 ·
Welcome to PF! Being a mix is okay....I have a mpoo X and everyone is so nice here! They really are a nice group. We all love hearing stories and seeing pix, and questions are always welcomed and answered thoughtfully and intelligently.
Thank you for opening your heart to a rescue!

#14 ·
Welcome! I am new as well, but everyone here seems to care about their babies and are super friendly and willing to share their info about this wonderful breed of dogs.

I have almost always had or been around poos, but even so I love the insight that I have seen in the threads that I have read. It is always wonderful to have the benefit of others experience, as each dog is an encyclopedia in and of themselves. :D

And that doesn't even begin to mention the pics! I adore the pics!
Can you tell I have already enjoyed my time here?

Again welcome!

#16 ·
I think hunny518 said it very well. We don't have any problem with any dog that a person has, we just want to see that breeders are responsible about what they are doing. Unfortunately a lot of the designer/cross breeders aren't using the best stock and the sales pitches they use are not always honest (e.g. a golden doodle won't mat or it will be non shedding). We definitely have special warm places for those who adopt dogs in need. Welcome.

#17 ·
That's true about the sales pitches, THAT (and the exhorbitant prices) is what bugs me. Our family had lots of mixed breeds since I was a kid but they were rescues or else a puppy from a neighbour's unplanned litter, that sort of thing. But I think it's funny when I see things like just the other day, a picture of a little brown dog and someone had labeled the photo, "Autralian Golden Labradoodle puppy; a fine representative of the breed." Every dog deserves a good home, it's just kind of annoying when people intentionally produce dogs like that. But rescuing them, well, that's a great thing to do.

#18 ·
Yes the sales pitches and prices are ridiculous. The obedience judge who was at Quinnipiac Poodle Club this year was telling us about "Tasmanian Labradoodles" and how these people make them out to be the best thing since sliced bread. She thought it was pretty crazy that people would pay to ship these dogs in from overseas. But then she said that she had someone come to one of her recent training classes with their tasmanian labradoodle who they thought was just going to be the star of the class because of where it was from.

I also heard of someone paying $3000 plus airline shipping for a poodle/old english sheepdog cross! A friend of mine met the dog and its owners at the beach. My friend said the dog's coat was an absolute mess. Go figure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.