Poodle Forum banner

When do you do a full body groom?

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Rhett'smom 
#1 ·
This question has probably been asked before but in my search I haven't been able to find it. Rhett has been to the groomers several times with very positive results and experiences. But he is now starting to mat even though he is brushed and combed twice a day. His puppy coat is very soft but thick. His parents have very dense tight curly coats. I realize he has a ways to go before he has the coat change but when can or should I have him "cut down " and then how long? An inch to an inch and a half? Dog Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae Mammal

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

See less See more
#3 ·
I think you do it when you get tired of brushing and combing every day! LOL If you don't have a show dog, there's no reason I know of to keep them in a really long puppy coat (other than the cuteness factor).

Cali is an mpoo and I finally gave in and got her clipped down at about 7 months of age. If I recall, I had about an inch left all over. She hadn't gone through her coat change yet at that point and, once clipped down, it only took me about half an hour once a week to keep her tangle free. She's pretty much finished her coat change now (she's just over a year) and her coat is really thick. I'm working towards a lamb clip, shorter on the body tapering into longer hair on the legs. I now spend about an hour twice a week brushing and combing. If I'm really busy, I can get away with once a week but will find a small mat or two usually in her legs.

I remember stressing over how much to cut off when I finally had Cali cut shorter. One thing I've learned since then is that her hair grows so darn fast that difference between a too-short clip and a perfect-length one is about a week. ;)

#4 ·
If your not showing your dog and your dog is comfortable with the clippering you can cut them down whenever. Eve had FFF every week since she was 6wks AND had all over handscissor whenever she needed it.. maybe every 4wks or so. Now Im lazy 1/2" all over poodle cut for her teehee! She doesnt get her FFF as often anymore and she sports the FFF until her body looks like a football lol. No mats tho, she gets a bath and brush that takes care of that!

#5 ·
Well I broke down and did the full body cut on Rhett. Since my groomer was on vacation I decided to do it myself. So armed with my clippers and two leashes Rhett and I ventured to his private grooming salon. Dog Canidae Mammal Dog breed Toy Poodle

Then the fun began... He did fantastic on the table. My complements to my groomer for that. And even though his top knot is canted to the left and he still needs some fine trim work I think I did an ok job for the first time in I do not remember when groomed a true full coated poodle. My Jip was only 4.5 pounds and had a very thin fine coat at the end of his 16 years.
So now Rhett is about a half an inch all over except where I missed. Lol !! His coat is so thick curly and shiny almost has the look of crushed velvet. This may an indicator of his adult coat?? But he loves it. Drying and brushing after his Bath was a breeze. So once again hats off to all groomers and to all who groom their own Babies . The after shot... Ta da!!!
. Dog Canidae Dog breed Carnivore Sporting Group

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.