I've been doing some research about poodles and stumbled over this forum and I just spent about three hours looking at threads with lots of great information! That pretty much decided me that I should probably sign up even though currently I'm going to be lurking more than posting. Mostly I just wanted to make sure I did my introductory post before I decided to post anywhere. My memory fails most of the time so I need to get it done before I forget.
Let's see. I'm a 24 year old female and I've found the man of my dreams. We're hoping to get married in the next few years and hoping to move. We've been specifically looking at Brattleboro, VT to move to as we have just fallen massively in love with the area.
I am completing my BoS in EC-6 Education (Early Childhood through 6th Grade) and I am doing my internship. Again. Unfortunately I had to quit in the spring due to having surgery to remove one of my ovaries because it was quite literally trying to eat me. Well, it was getting a lot of cysts and it hurt so it had to leave. I'll be graduating on December 15th. I'M SO CLOSE!
The man and I have been discussing the type of dog that we would want because frankly I told him we were having a dog and that was it. We've pretty much decided that a Poodle would be a good fit for us even if we don't quite agree on the size. He wants a Toy while I want a Standard. My whole life I've been raised with big dogs (Rottweiler's, Doberman's, and Staffordshire Terriers) so I pretty much always thought I would have a large dog. I've been researching (which once again is what led me here) the different sizes and I'm relieved that I could still do Agility with the Toy Poodle so I'm coming around.
Currently I've decided
- We're feeding Blue Buffalo. I'd love to try a RAW diet but I'm scared to death I'd get the portions wrong. So I need to research this more. From what I've been reading on here that it would be okay to do a mix of BB and RAW so I might be doing that. =/
- Agility and Obedience Training is going to be a must.
- I am terribly obsessed with the Teddy bear Cut.
What I'm still researching
- How much money do we need before we even THINK of buying a dog. $1000? $3000? $5000? I'm leaning towards the $3000 mark.
- Vets. I'm starting to look at the vet pages in Brattleboro and am probably going to be emailing them. It would be nice if they had a Grooming Salon and did Pocket Pets (we own Rats).
- Groomers. How much money should we budget annually for grooming bills? What are we going to have to do at home so what supplies do we need?
I'm going to stop here because otherwise I'll just keep typing away and end up with a 20 page essay. Long-winded. That's me!